Do your trailer brake lights work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 22, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

As you read the subject line, you all are thinking, what a silly question!

Well, today a local competitor was in front of us travelling. We were doing at least 40mph. When suddenly, I thought we were going to rear-end him. We had no indication that he was coming to a DEAD STOP in the middle of road where there shouldn't have been a stop.

His brake lights did not work!!! He stopped because two dogs were in the road, and he didn't want to hit them. Glad the dogs didn't get hit, but we were VERY lucky we didn't wreck into the back of him.

Matt got out of the truck while he was still stopped because the dogs were in the way, and Matt walks up to the truck to tell him that he has no brake lights. And he says, "Yeah, I know." That's all he said. Nothing else. Not even thanks. Just, "Yeah, I know." I was ticked off bad! What a jerk!.

So, just a heads up to everyone. Check to make sure your brake lights are working. Be safe!

2. I don't know why people do this. It's so dangerous. Another point, why would you want to attract a cop, get a fix it ticket, then deal with the hassle and any associated fee's.

Beginning next year in California, if youÂ’re a commercial vehicle (at least in my state, that means any p/u, since we all get commercial plates) towing a trailer minus functioning lights, you will get a moving violation ticket. That is if your stopped by the highway patrol.

John

3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi thats funny you mention that. We have four trailers and every time I check I always find at least one out. Today was no exception. Thanks for the reminder. I will be sure to get mine fixed. Lets hope the inconsiderate individual that you encountered does the same.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I check lights daily when the trailer gets hooked up

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have said for years that you can retire on just working on trailer lights. Everytime I look I see a bulb out, trailer light broke, or something. BUT...

I would rather spend an extra 30 to 40 minutes at the shop before I leave fixing them, then the hour or more on the road in an accident.

I got rear-ended about a month ago and I felt better when she said, "Yeah, I saw your lights working. It's my fault."

Whew.

It burns me up when I see these junk trailers with no tag, no lights being pulled by a beat up car or truck. I realize that may be all they have but really how does being poor excuse breaking the law and being unsafe.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I check mine in morning, and at the last job to see they work. The way these peopler drive these days, it scares me, and I don`t want someone running into me and they say his lites are not working. This spring I finished my last job, and it was getting dark. I checked the lites and they worked. I was almost home and a state county police pulls me over, and tells me my lites are not working, and about the ticket I am about to get. I said that the lites are checked in morn, and after last job, it must have been the potholes. He kinda laughed and said, you know, looking at this truck, trailer,equiptment setup, I don`t think you would knowingly drive with no lites. Then he trys to help me fix them, with no luck. it is getting dark now, and he says I will follow you to your house with my lites on.I used hand signals for the turns and when we got to my house, we joked about how most of the drivers probally would`nt know or even notice a hand signal. The lites are still checked in morn, and at last job before going home.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As for all the guys having trouble with trailer lights. I re-wired my entire trailer 6 years ago, all new from the plug to the tail lights. I used all BETTS lights, ran all wires through solid wire loom. Used epoxy filled wirenuts. The OEM wiring and lights that todays trailers (or yesterdays) come with are totaly useless and are only designed to get it off the sales lot. "Knock on Wood" but I have yet to replace a bulb or lens in these past 6 years.

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I try and check them daily. My biggest problem has been the dab burn ground. :)

9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have so many trailers that we have bulbs out everyday! It's been such a problem that we a slowly changing out those light to Napa 40202 LED lights. A bit expensive at $75, but are lifetime warrantied! The big benefit is that if one led goes bad, there are about 30 more that still work. Just idea for ya'll who find this to be a frustrating thing, especially when it's not the bulb.

10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I only have 2 trailers but the lights are always in working order. Also, try to focus on the movement of the vehicle in front of you not just his lights and you'll aviod some accidents. Russ