Do Your Trimmers Suck When it's Hot Out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, I have noticed that all the trimmers I have bought (Echo, Kaw., Stihl, Shin) since the New Enviro-Nut Regulations & the fiXed Carbs have Serious problems when the weather is Hot. They are Hard to Start & Surge Often...Only When it's Hot....I Actually Dumped a bunch of Stihl85's they were so bad & then started having the same problem w/the Kaw & then the Shin & Now the Echo's!!! Dealer Says Mabe they run too Rich When its Hot out Now?!? But He Never can Find anything wrong & has Checked Everything...Replaced Coils etc...& they Allways Work for him...It's Just In the Field when ithe Weather Gets Hot!

Anyone else have this Problem Or am I Trimmer Cursed!
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My shins don't do that, and you want to talk hot? Come down here for a week. Whew!
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

No and I have Echo. Tanaka,Stihl, Redmax, and Shindawa. Never had a problem like that . Even in 100 degree heat.
  4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Use to have the problem when I was running Stihls.

Have not had a single problem with any of the Husqvarna's that I have owned in the past few years.

I hate jeking my arm off to get something running more than anything. That is the number one reason I stopped buying Stihls. For they did great the first year. But when they got 2 years or older it seemed I spent more time trying to get them started than working them.
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

The shins i used to have did that in the 90+ degree days, after we'd use them and go to the next job you'd stand there pulling for about 5 mins. not sure what it is, could be too rich or too much fuel period (i think that was the problem with ours) because like with race cars they like the jets to be fatter when its cold out, cooler denser air=more fuel.
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

No, what sux is being sweaty and getting dusted with grass shavings on a dry windy day while mowing a half dirt, half grass lawn on a hill.

My Kawa runs great.
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an interesting prob. with my Kaw. But I know why, If i leave it sitting in the direct sun for a while, it floods itself, It freaked me out the first time but now I just trow a towel over it and the fuel doesn't get hot enough to do it anymore.
  8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same problem. Loosen the fuel cap when you're not running. Lets the pressure out of the tank, that forces fuel into the carb, that floods the engine.:drinkup:
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

10. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl hedge trimmer that acts funny when it is hot, a few dealers couldn't find anything wrong with it. All my Echo equipment runs fine when it is hot.