Do youre dealors rev the hell out of youre stuff too?!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Goetso, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Goetso

Goetso LawnSite Member

Just wondering if its a common practice for all dealers across the board to show you the starting procedure on youre new $200-$700 2 stroke power equipment, and to rev it up to its limit. I cant think of any thing that makes me want to smack a guy more then when this happens. And its ALL THE TIME! What is the point? I have worked in a snowmobile dealership before and I NEVER did this to a new engine. I know some guys dont think its a big deal, but it can harm things. Both my stihl and echo dealers are notorious for doing this. I am tempted to contact the corporations and file a complaint. Anybody else have any info or experience related to this annoying and potentially expensive practice?:mad::nono:

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been in this business since 1982, I don't need anyone to show me a starting procedure for a two cycle engine. You could always say, thanks, I know how to start it, and walk out with your machine.

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

And if you run it and find at high speed it misfires, you'd be complaining to the dealer right away. No harm is done to your engine as it isn't the first time it has been run. And not running them at high speed is one of the worse things you can do to an engine as it causes carbon buildup from unburned oil due to the engine not getting up to temp.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I usally go pick up new handhelds in my wifes Excursion, so I tell them not to put gas in them. I just fuel them and start them up when I get home. If it bothers you that much then why do you let them start them? BTW, I do not care if the dealer starts them up, but I would just rather they left them dry and unstarted so I do not stink up my wifes ride.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

That proves nothing, what if you have been scoring pistons for 27 years!

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I doubt that is happening. These engines are designed to be revved all the time.

As for the OP. Let me get this right. Your going to complain to corporate about your dealer revving your little handheld engine because you "think" it's not good for the engine? This is a joke right?

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I believe it prudent to run a fresh engine at part throttle at least until it reaches operating temperature. How many years have you gotten out of your trimmers?

8. yeah, I'd file a complaint too, no telling what else he does.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

10 years.

Goetso, simply tell him you don't want them to start any new equipment when you buy it. I usually start any new stuff I get myself. Problem solved.

10. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009