Do ZTR spreaders and sprayers ruin mowers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Sep 11, 2007.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I am considering a pg or maybe just adding a sprayer to my zero turn with a lesco truckster. I am more concerned about if the mower would get ruined from the chemicals. I am looking for some feedback.

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

We have a ztr with an electric spreader sitting on the front of it. No matter how much blowing or washing we do the thing gets rusty. Expect the fert to get into everything. Having said that, on a really good day with a helper I can spread almost four pallets of fert.
    I have never had a problem with spray but I don't use liquid fert.

Scott

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Same deal here. My mowing subcontractor uses a fert spreader on the front of his Exmark ZTR. He figures by the time the mower has any serious rust problems, the mower is shot anyway. Keep in mind that there are no brakes on a ZTR mower, so slopes & wet turf can be dangerous.:hammerhead:

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I made some brackets for the rear of the ztr. They allow me to hang a pair of buckets filled with cement. They weigh 80 pounds each. For fertilizing you don't really make a lot of "zero" turns so the extra weight doesn't tear up the lawn. The machine handles decent even with the spreader and two bags of fert sitting over the front casters.

Scott