1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Do ZTR's ride rough, or do I have a bad yard.?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webdrifter, Jul 24, 2004.

1. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

Do ZTR's just have a tendency to bounce a lot ? So far I have Demoed a Hustler SuperZ, and a John Deere 757, and both will bounce a lot in certain areas of my yard. I believe the Deere is actually worse than the Hustler. I plan on having dirt brought in this fall to smooth out a few areas, but the ride is pretty rough everywhere. I just checked the air pressure in the John Deere, and the front tires have 17psi and the back tires have 15psi. would lowering the air pressure help a little or a lot? I wonder if these machines will hold up to this type of pounding? More importantly I wonder if I will hold up to it .. lol.
  2. rambler

rambler LawnSite Member

i have super Minnie z and i run about 12 pounds of air pressure makes the ride alot smoother
  3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop the air psi some it will help alot. I have 10 in the back and 12 in the front on mine.
  4. webdrifter

These were both new demo's, so I guess they had the air pressure set to factory specifications. I realize that I was going faster than I would be on my riding mower, but they really jared the crap out of me. I guess the more I demo the more I'll learn. Thanks for the responses guys.
  5. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

It's probably the extra speed the Z will do. My 60" Lazer is much smoother than my riders. However, One of my corp. accts. had the roof redone last winter when it was rainy and I just about get thrown off everytime I hit one of those hidden ruts!
  6. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

what is the air pressure in the tires? to much and it can cause probelmd
  7. webdrifter

The air pressure in the John Deere demo was 17 psi front and 15 psi back. I didn't check the Super Z. I want to try a ZTR with the pivoting front axle to see if they are smoother.
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we tun about 11-13 in the front, 7-9 in the rear.
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

take one of these tanks for a spin, they all have the pivoting fron axle. They can still ride rough though. We keep ours locked in all the time, so they don't pivot, on the property's we cut we get a better cut locked in.

wall of cubs 005.jpg
  10. robertbick

robertbick LawnSite Member

Try to demo a Lazer Z with the custom ride seat suspension. Just bought one this past week and my property seems to have a lot less bumps than it did when I last cut it with my lawn tractor.