"Dock/seaside" style landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by morning dew, Mar 4, 2002.

1. morning dew

morning dew LawnSite Member

One of our customers lives on a lake and they want us to put in a walk down to the lake and they want us to create that "sea shore" look with big posts and big rope.

If anyone has some input please do, I need to find a place to get the materials for it.

Thanks
    Jesse

2. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Jesse, wasn't sure whether you just want info on where to get the rope and such, but here's my 2 cents. I live about 8 houses up from the ocean here, and spent alot of time growing up near Cape Cod,Ma and Newport, RI. Most of the walkways near the ocean are basically curved rough looking pathways resembling a railrod track. The rails although on the bottom, made out of 2x4 like pressure treated rails, with pressure treated slats (maybe 1x3's) nailed across the top with little spacing. As for plant material, I would suggest different varieties of ornamental grasses scattered alongside the walkway in an informal pattern. If they want the rope, just continue up along the track with 2x4 pressure treated posts with holes driiled in them and find some marine rope at a hardware store or Home Depot. That's the best I can do from afar. Hope it helps.

Mike

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

The rope is easy, just go to any large construction speciality place they can order it for you. The post, we use old telephone poles, have a few in our yard right now, most times we collect them and save them for special job or pilings on bridges. The hard part is installing them you need to drill a few feet into the ground we like to do 6' if it's going to support any weight. Don't use concrete around them, we use a jumping jack tamper to lock them in.