Doctor please, ned help diagnosing a sick yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Aug 16, 2004.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Potential new customer stopped me today and asked me to repair his lawn. Currently using another LCO in the area which he plans to dump at the end of the season. States he thought it was just dry but appears to have somthing else going on. Condition of the lawn changed quickly over a two week period. Grass is very dry, never irrigated and has received scheduled fertilizer applications from the other LCO. My initial diagnosis is that he has Plythium blight on his front yard and parkway. Side yard and rear is fine with a minor case of dollar spot which I will take care of if he accepts my repair proposal.

Below is my plan of action. Please let me know if you think somthing else will work better.
    1)Apply Teramek, a systemic fungicide to affected areas and repeat in 5-7 days. Two applications of Teramek will cost about and will only keep the problem from progressing.
    2)In early September power rake affected areas to remove dead grass.
    3)Top-dress affected areas with top-soil and rake in 1-2 yards of topsoil, approximately
    4)Apply 20 lbs. of Athletic Pro Gold grass seed(combination blue-grass and rye) to affected areas, approximately
    5)Starter fertilizer
    6)Three bags of Pen mulch (optional) to keep soil moist longer after watering it

2. FERT-TEK

how do you post multiple pics within a thread

3. FERT-TEK

example of affected shoots

4. FERT-TEK

I have other pictures available if needed. Too many to post at once. How do I post multiple pics within thread?

5. shep2004

shep2004 LawnSite Member

looks to me like a lack of N. I would in your case put down some 46-0-0 down in low volume.

6. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm...mebbe it just dried out and died.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Have you eliminated insect damage as a option?

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, I think it just dried out. but thats just my opinion.

if I were you I would take a sample of the lawn to your local cooperative extension agent and have them take a look at it.

9. FERT-TEK

If it dried out shoudn't it rebound with irrigation? The rest of his lawn looks OK for not having any irrigation. We had some light rain recently with no change since he stopped me. No insect damage that I can tell and he said he has had one application of MACH II about a month ago.

Shep2004 according to the homeowner this lawn has been on a regular fert program for as long as he has owned it so forgive my ignorance but if this is a drought stressed lawn wont 46-0-0 burn out what is left of the lawn? In my opinion it is too hot and dry around here.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I do lawn maintenance and don't specialize in this kind of work but like the challenge. If I need to renovate the lawn it will be a relatively small job.

10. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any pictures of the lawn just on the edges of the affected area? Have you eliminated insects as the cause?