1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 1500 Cummins? Possible

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Capemay Eagle, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

GM was preparing to introduce a 4.5L duramax into their 1500 series Chevy and GMC a couple years ago, about the time that gas prices started to sky-rocket. They had them out in test trucks on the road but never actually offered that option to the public. I don't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall the fuel economy of those truck/engine combos was pretty impressive for a fullsize truck.

I guess I'm a little skeptical about whether Chrysler does actually have a Cummins diesel put into their dodge 1500's.

3. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

I dont think it will be worth on it on a 1/2 ton. Theirs so much emissons crap on the new ones it hard enough to jusitfy it on 2500/3500 over a gas

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of a guy here that put a cummins in a 1/2 ton chevy! Fuel economy I heard was like 30 mpg. (but don't quote me on that).

I don't understand why almost every other country uses diesels in smaller trucks and cars as a norm and in the US you can only get one in a large truck (other than the few VW models out there most recently). Even some vehicles that are manufactured in the US are available with a diesel engine when shipped out of the country when they aren't available here, same goes the other way around of course.

I've not driven a diesel truck much at all personally, and Iv'e only heard what all has to be done every X miles on these new ones. Just watched a show on Speed yesterday where they were servicing a 2010 Dodge cummins with like 27K on it. When they pulled out the jug of "muffler fluid" I thought their was some inside joke going on there! Do you have to add the muffler fluid at the same time as the blinker fluid? lol! Well it's a real thing... Not that big of a deal really. Every 5k to 7k miles just pop off the cap and top off the jug.

5. Thinmint

Thinmint LawnSite Member

topping off that jug with every oil change is about 150 bucks

6. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Ford was talking about doing the same thing and seemed really serious in the last year or two, but now it looks like a no go. They were going to use a smaller diesel engine that they use in their Land Rovers in Europe that was supposed to get around 30 mpg. The big 3 all talk about it and even do some testing with it, but it never seems to get off the ground. Ford is launching 3 new engines in their F150 series for 2011, diesel didn't make the cut.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

They need to slap a 4bt cummins in it and be done.

8. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

Gee Thinmint you need to tell my Ford dealer they think it's only $40. Less at the truck stop its only urea yes as in fertilizer. And there may be a secret substitute.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

chevy used to put the diesels in their old 88-98 style 1500 trucks back in the day.

10. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

In the late 70's, Dodge put a 4.0 L Mitsubishi 6-cylinder naturally-asperated diesel in the half-ton trucks, but it put out only about 100 hp. It was strictly for fuel economy.