1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 1500 test drive

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snap12.5, Apr 5, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

test drove a 98 dodge 1500 4x4 with 63,000 miles.
    when driving it, it was difficult to keep the truck straight even though i wasnt turning the steering wheel. the truck would pull left then right and i had to always correct the steering in order for it not to drive off the road. it seems like maybe an alingment problem but i dont know. the truck was plowed with so maybe it is bad springs or ?... any comments appreciated. thanks

first truck by the way.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheels could be off balance, or incorect tire pressure
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dodges and Jeeps both have a "dead center" in the steering. Were you maybe over correcting? My friends dodge truck is sorta like that. the big tires and the grooves in the road sorta throw it around. Both of my Jeep Gr. Cherokees have a dead center. It's sorta nice in the wind!
  4. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

that is a alignment problem probably from worn bushings throwing the front end out of access of inclination which is like havine the front end rotated backwards causin the steering to be goofy it is a easy fix but i would try to get about 700 or 800 off the asking price and also bring it to a mechanic to look at before u buy it. ask the garage if they do per purchase inspections

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Exactlt. The front end is worn...the ball joints or tie rod ends or something, maybe the stabilizer link. Take it to someone and have it check. Go to your favorite mechanic or a tire shop or a front end shop. It will wear tire real fast, and it is dangerous driving.
  6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Ball Joints

Mine did that last week and drove me crazy. I replaced ball joints and took it to get aligned again and drives great. The Dodge truck from 99-2001 is bad about ball joints. I also plow and that wears them out quick too!
  7. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks for the replies
    the dealer has had this truck since last december.
    nobody wants to buy it.

ball joints - could they possibly get worn out in 63,000 miles???
    i dont think that i will be buying this truck since it drives awkwardly, been plowed with, and the dealer wont budge on the price. he is asking $6500 but originally was selling it for $7900 this past january according to my friend who saw it then.
  8. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

from a jeep fanatic. ever hear of death wobble? this happens when the bushing in the traction control bar goes bad. you wont notice it by looking at it but you will when you drive it. lrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrl it feels that your car is goin bonkers. check the tread on the tires look for any uneven spots this is a real easy fix it will cost you about 200 bucks all together. if you do it yourself its only 4 or 5 bolts. you will also want to replace the steering stabilizer. dont let anybody talk you into a boot ask any 4wheeler mud slush sand and snow rot away inside which causes your stabilizer to wear out quicker. yes if you have a 6' lift it looks cool to have that boot but is lookin cool or being smart better.