1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 1500?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by N&CLandscaping, Jan 10, 2007.

1. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone on here run a dodge for their companies? New or Old say a 1996? any pics maybe? I found a 1996 Dodge Reg cab 1500 Sport for cheap money and I want another truck. Anyone got one? How well does it tow a trailer? anything would be helpful
  2. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

My 1500 2wd does an awesome job.... with 5x10 loaded with both the Z and 21 LB and all other misc stuff in bed and on trailer. Mike
  3. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I am on my second dodge 1500 the first was a 1996 2WD and was just the most dependable truck it had 175,000 when I let it go and it was running strong. I bought the new 1500 AWD / 4x4 hemi and it is the best truck I have ever had lots of power and rides great. Here are a couple of picture of both. Towing was and is no problem. I always used the Tow/Haul switch around town.

IP 108.jpg

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I would stay away from Dodges BEFORE the year 2000. After that you should be just as good as any. JMO

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to say it guys but Consumer Reports rates the F150 as a better truck than both the Dodge and Chevy.
  6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I run a 2006 5.7 liter V-8 aka HEMI.....I pull a 6.5 X 16 with it, and it pulls great, but I will be honest, it drinks gas....I get about 11 miles to the gallon....But I have pulled 5 yds or mulch plus some other things without a problem. I have the Texas Ranch addition....My gift from my wife.....But Next truck will be a 3500 Diesel.....I am growing and work is requiring bigger and heavier equipment...
  7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

N&C, I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L Magnum V8. It towed my 6x12 landscape trailer fully loaded no problem. Now my dad has it and pulls his 8.5x18 enclosed trailer. It does well even cruising down the highway at 65-70mph. The truck has never been beaten so its in nice shape and only has a little over 50K on it. We haven't had to do any major work like a rebuilt tranny, just regular maintenance. Great truck IMO.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Here is a quick snap of my Hemi...

hemi 21.JPG
  9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Consumer Reports also ranked the earliest Ford Focus the best choice and now they are falling apart. Don't always believe what you read!
  10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

My uncle has a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd long box. He didn't maintain it very well, didn't know how to load a trailer, and beat the crap out of it, and it took everything he threw at it. 175,000 miles later, and it still runs and drives nicely. The only thing he did to it was upgrade the rear suspension, which it wouldn't have needed to do if he wouldn't put all the weight on the tounge.