Dodge 2500 Help please!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1993lx172, Aug 6, 2008.

1. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, I've got a 99' ram 2500 with a V8and tonight on my way home from band practice i noticed that the engine was running rough and causing the truck to vibrate ( it felt like you where driving over a rough patch of road whenever you touched the accelerator). My dad drove it around when i got home and ruled out a transmission problem, he said it felt like the engine was missing on a cylinder ( he rebuilt his first car twice when he was in college so he knows what he is talking about). Would replacing the spark plugs fix the problem or will I have to take it in to a dealer. I can still drive it ( it smooths out after the initial acceleration) and won't have time to fix/look at it until Saturday because of band camp. If it is as simple as spark plugs please tell me, if I need to go to the dealer tell me as well any advice or a second pinion would be great.:help:

sorry for the long post I want to make sure you guys have all the possible information.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I would try plugs. I think it sounds more serious than that though. take it to a good shop that u trust.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

U-Joints possibly, they cause a driveline vibration.

4. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to drive it to practice today and when i came home it was worse. The Check engine light is now on and some times flashing, my dad drove it again and could tell it was missing worse.

Mike: I don't think it would be the U-joints because it does this just idling while in park ( you can feel the inconsistent vibration as apposed to the normal vibration of the truck at idle) and you can hear a slight chop in the exhaust.

TandM: We are probably going to take it to the local dealer on Saturday as I have band camp through Friday we don't want to risk breaking a plug doing it our selves.

I hope it's just something small like plugs because four of my nine yards require the truck, while the rest i can get to just by driving the mower and I cant afford even half a new truck and i don't want to go used because I'm going to college next year and need something that will handle the commute every weekend. I'll keep you posted and thanks agian