Dodge 3500 cummins advise

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A. Marguglio Landscaping, Apr 18, 2013.

1. A. Marguglio Landscaping

A. Marguglio Landscaping LawnSite Member

Looking at a 1998 dodge 3500 cummins dually. It has 200k miles. 4 wheel drive and claims previous owner rebuilt the tranny. He baught it only for the plow setup and now wants to sell it. It has a utility body and he wants $4500 for it but I was considering buying it as a cab and chassis to put a flat bed or dump on it, he said he'd sell it for 3800 without the bed.

Any advise? Good deal? Bad deal? Worth buying?
    Also frame is solid, decent tires and lines are all solid

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If the trans was rebuilt I would say it's a fair deal. But why put all that money into a new cab and dump for such a old truck?

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

That's uuuuuuuuuuuuber cheap for my area. Id be allover that deal. Cummins around here go for 2-5k over blue book price.

4. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

any proof of the tranny rebuild? I was up that way for easter had mine rebuilt up in middletown

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Good price. I have a 97' cummins and I'd be all over that.

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

diesels hold their value VERY well, around here that truck would probably be double that price. i'd jump all over it, even if a few things are wrong you'll still be far ahead, plus it'll run forever with the proper maintenance. main thing with diesels is fuel filtration.

7. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

www.cumminsforum.com

very good information on there if you want to learn about the truck or any common issues for that year

8. A. Marguglio Landscaping

A. Marguglio Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot for all of the input it's greatly appreciated. No proof of tranny rebuild, might take a ride tomorrow and take a look at the truck. Can't decide if I'd rather wait and save for something with a little less miles

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Those miles mean nothing on that engine. Heck, it is just getting broken in. That is a million mile engine if you take care of it.
    As others have mentioned, it is the transmission you need to be sure of. The tranny is the weak link in that truck.

10. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Bring him $3500 cash and I bet he takes it. You would be foolish to not buy it.