Dodge 3500 cummins advise

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A. Marguglio Landscaping, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

I would be leery of a tranny rebuild with no proof. Who rebuilds the tranny and doesn't keep any paperwork on it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. A. Marguglio Landscaping

A. Marguglio Landscaping LawnSite Member

This is true. Still just deciding on how much money I want to put into it, meaning a flatbed or dump bed because then I'll be into it for quite a bit. Maybe ill save $10,000 and find something with 100,000?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

I would stay away from any tourque-flight auto that has a Cummins in front of it .

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. My last very expensive experience with a Torqeflight is why I have gone back to Ford. Love the Cummins but not the 47RE trannys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. A. Marguglio Landscaping

Ok sounds like I have lots to think about now. Thanks for all of the input
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

As of today, 215,000 miles on my 47re. Nothing done except fluid/filter changes. The last 6 years it was towing a 16' with two mowers almost daily.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The problem comes in the cost of repair. Usually its just soft parts such as bands, clutches and seals. Basically the only that onlt that survives on the 47RE is the case. 3-4k later you get you're transmission back. Forget about finding a good used one. There will always be exceptions, but I've heard way more horror stories. The Allisons were a big step up, but I don't think they retrofit easily.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Why haven't you bought it yet? Where is he? I'll buy it. Is it a 98 or 98.5? Cummins sell for 8 or more around here.

9. A. Marguglio Landscaping

It's on Hudson valley Craigslist in New York and I believe 98 sence it's a 12 valve
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. A. Marguglio Landscaping

I ran into another deal that's currently floating around in my head. 98 dodge 3500 12 valve with 133k decent tires but the rockers and fenders are gone. Dump and fisher mm1 8' plow. But it had a manual the guy is taking out the manual and transfer case for his dually, he has an automatic he was going to include in the sale along with the transfer case and converter. I'm not sure if there is a different wiring harness for the automatic though so don't want to get in over my head...but the price is right for $2700
    Posted via Mobile Device