Dodge 5500 VS Ford F550

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JohnnyRoyale, Mar 25, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We're getting pricing on a couple of trucks we need to replace, and although I've been loyal to Ford for a long time, I've heard horror stories with their last motor, and they just introduced a new diesel motor (again), and my buddy informs me Dodge has an equivalent truck with the Cummins Diesel. The Dodge actualy comes in a few grand less than the Ford, now I'm wondering what your opinions are on the two. The trucks are going to be crew cabs, with 11 ft dump bodies, 4x4, and they'll be pulling 18 Ft enclosed trailers. By the way, Dodge is pricing the truck with a PTO driven pump on the dump, and Fords quoting with electric over hydraulic (which I dont like), and they're still cheaper. I think I'm going to have them install an underhood pump instead with a diverter valve, so I can switch between dump and hydraulic salter in the winter.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

and then you can run a snow plow to with the central hydro.

3. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

Having been a ford guy for a long time, but coming from a 06 Dodge 5.9 Cummins (after getting hosed on a 03 ford 6.0L PS), and now a new owner of a 03 7.3L F350 and most recently a 08 Ford F350, i would not consider dodge again unless ford motor was complete junk. The ford truck is far superior. If we were still talking in the 5.9 Cummins days i would say go with dodge even though the truck is not as good. However with their new 6.7 cummins they have had the most problems of the "big 3" in my opinion (however the jake brake is sweet and the new 6 speed tranny is pretty nice). Their is night and day difference between every aspect of the trucks in my opinion, and like i said after i bought my 03 and drove it around for a month or so i had to have a new one!! I still have the 06 Dodge, i won't lie it will make for a great work truck, just not a personal/work truck for myself! To each their own, but that is my $.02.

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i am in a similar position. i will be buying a med duty in the next 2 weeks. i have looked and researched them all till i am sick of the trucks before even turning the key. looked at 4300 international thought about the dodge and even considered ford. i am getting closer to the chevy/gmc everyday. i have been running a 3500 with the duramax/allsion and it has been the best truck in every aspect i have ever owned. the engine has been reliable, tranny amazing, power has not been an issue. this truck has sold me and mine is the lb7. can't imagine the later series HP and torque numbers. 3 weeks ago test drove a 4500 4wd reg cab mason dump bed. it was used with low miles. very impressed. the lower gearing won't helo at the pump but the power it has put a smile on my face. so as of now one of 2 4500's i am looking at are the leaders in my search. the 4300 although nice and great trucks won't happen. i would have buying used and the HP just wasn't there. we have a lot of hills and i have been spoiled going up them with the duramax towing.
    good luck in your search,

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The big difference is the F-550 has been on the road for 7 years Dodge 5500 1 year. Ford has been building tough cab and chassis trucks since the 70s you can't say that about Dodge. Ford has been building a 1.5 ton truck with a 15,000lb gvw for 20 years.

The 5500 chassis and suspension will tear and rattle a Dodge cab apart. If they really designed the chassis for a 19,000lb gvw then the cab isn't going to last.

When Dodge 4500 and 5500 start out numbering Ford F-450 and F-550s I might be impressed until them it is just a over glorified 3500.

If you don't need the truck a 4x4 and you are not using the truck as a daily driver then look at light medium duty trucks example Hino or Freighliner with 19.5 wheels.

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"i am getting closer to the chevy/gmc everyday. i have been running a 3500 with the duramax/allsion and it has been the best truck in every aspect i have ever owned. the engine has been reliable, tranny amazing, power has not been an issue. this truck has sold me and mine is the lb7. can't imagine the later series HP and torque numbers. 3 weeks ago test drove a 4500 4wd reg cab mason dump bed. it was used with low miles. very impressed"

I just purchased a 2008 C4500 with the 6 speed Allison and the 330 HP motor. It has a 13 yard body on it(for mulch). So far,so good,I love the way it pulls a load.

7. JohnnyRoyale

I dont need or want another big truck, I have a S/A Topkick, a Tandem Mack, and Triaxle Mack already. This truck is primarily going to pull an 18 ft enclosed trailer to the jobsite, and the odd time a skid steer or mini, and pick up the odd ton of material when needed or crap from the cutting crew.

I have been impartial to Ford over the years and own 4 Super Duties (250+350) as well as a Chevy 3500. The Chevy makes a nice, comfortable truck to drive, but not nearly as tough as the Ford counterpart. My F250, 7.3L Powerstroke has almost 600K on it and I beat the crap out of it daily-I do agree, Ford builds a tough truck. I dont know anything about the new Dodges, but what I do recall is that any Cummins component is A1, and any Dodge component is worth nothing. I'm just wondering if they have improved at all-enough to make the switch. I realize dodge is a virgin in the 19000# class, but didn't Ford just change their motor again, for the third time in 5 or so years? Your input is great-keep it coming.

8. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

If you are interested in the Dodge you should take a look at the class 5 trucks by sterling. They are basically beefier Dodges with better options.

9. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Basiclly they are Dodges with all the problems fixed....They are great trucks ive looked at them and will most likely be buying one this fall.

10. JohnnyRoyale

Which Sterling are you reeferring too?