Dodge 5500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zedosix, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I had a chance to look at the new 5500 ram last week, I like what I see and wonder if anyone on this site had a chance to drive it or maybe someone owns one. I would like some input on the general feel of the truck, your likes, dislikes etc.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They are just hitting the market so don't expect too many people with them yet. The biggest problem with them is they are still a Dodge :laugh:

3. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I've been looking at them as well........anyone own one yet???????

4. zedosix

They are all good til they break down. I realize they are new on the market but that motor has been out for over a year now. I hear the engine braking is just great, replacing brakes is a non issue for a guy like me who only puts 12k a year.

5. Gravel Rat

If you are going to buy one buy a Sterling version then you can get better dealer service etc.

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

7. zedosix

I do like it, definetely worth a look especially with 0% financing. I looked at another ford 550, I can get an 07 for about the same cost as the dodge except the ford has 9% financing. Since I won't be driving it, my guys do that, I will likely opt for the less expensive dodge, and what the hell, that brake alone just gets me all worked up.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

The exhaust brake is surely a nice feature. The 0% financing is a no brainer compared to 9% and I would stay away from fords anyway....too many motor issues. Have you considered the GMC 5500? The Duramax and Allison combination is proven and hard to beat.

How much is a Dodge cab and chassis going to cost? On the Sterling Bullet c&c,I was quoted $37,076 on a 5500.

9. zedosix

Dodge quoted me 45,500 with a 11' dump, folding sides. Truck was bare bones, a/c and auto, no power windows or heated seats, etc. Only deal is that figure is cash only. When you finance the price goes up. I am looking at a 5500 duramax now as a second option. I have a 6500 and I am happy with that truck. I just wanted something a bit smaller that I can send the average joe to work in without having to take 2 or 3 parking spaces, and they both have the same payload anyway. Here is a pic of the c5500 I'm looking at.

duramax 001 (Medium).jpg

10. Gravel Rat

Keep in mind the truck with a 19,000lb gvw is very maxed out for brakes so you will definatly need a exhaust brake. It is the same with the F-550 with the 19,000lb gvw which has the EXACT same brakes as my F-450. My F-450loaded to 16,000lbs you really can feel it in the braking power.

There really isn't much more that Dodge could do to improve the braking power on their trucks. A 19.5 wheel only allows a rotor a certain size and the caliper. As for tires the Dodge uses the same 225-19.5 rubber as the Ford.

I wouldn't expect miracles from Dodge. If you have any experience with F-450 and F-550 trucks I don't think your going to notice much difference. You may notice the Dodge is way way under sprung. Dodge it notorious for putting springs into their trucks that are too light. They have been that way for the last 20 years.

People that say the Dodge 4500 and 5500 rides rough hasn't had any 1.5-2 ton truck experience. All Fords ride the same I'am so used to it now I don't even notice the ride. I have been driving 1.5 ton trucks as a daily driver for 10 years.

You want to experience a rough ride the "F-Superduty" trucks the first F-450s Ford built ride rougher than my current 03 F-450. The reason being the front leaf springs are longer on the 03. The rear leaf springs are not much different.

The 19.5 rubber rides a little rough so if your used to pansy 16 inch E rated rubber your going to find the 19.5s a little rough.

Anyhow go test drive a 4500-5500 it would be nice if it had a similar body on it that you want to use like a flatdeck or dump etc. You will want a truck with a 84 inch cab axle you get one with the 60 inch cab axle its going to ride like a tank. Longer the wheelbase smoother the ride will be. Unless your building a tow truck a 60 inch cab axle is too short. A 9 foot dump/flatdeck is useless on a 16,000-19,000lb truck you can't get enough legal load on them.

Like I mentioned deal with Sterling atleast you will have somebody that can work on your truck. Most Dodge dealer mechanics have no clue on repairing a truck.

Also if you have engine problems don't bother taking it to Cummins they won't work on it. I know the Cummins dealer in B.C. said they won't touch a Cummins in a new Dodge. They said Dodge has changed the engine managment system they can't do anything to it.