dodge 6.7 cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TandM, Jul 17, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

hey guys I was wondering about how the new 6.7's were runnin? what kind of gas mileage are you gettin and how many miles do you have and what model you have. we love our 5.9's with that sweet 20mpg average. thanks a lot for your info

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

To be honest i have heard about a 50/50 good bad on these things. some say 17 highway. others say 14. so who knows... its like all the new emmision friendly engines. they all can be crap or they can be good. Ive heard the worst about the 6.7 cummins.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

did the 2007s have the 5.9l??

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

they sure did.

5. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about incredible power, but piss-poor mileage. Emissions engine, what a load. Oh, that's great for the enviroment, chopping 8 mpg off and burning that much more fuel. I've heard great things about the 5.9, but the 6.7, do some more research.

6. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it safe to say with the new emission standards which is going to hurt MPG and added to the cost of new diesel engines.
    Very sadly the days of diesels getting better MPGs than gas engines are just about over
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXA22Q0qXNM

A cummins diesel engine adds to the price of NEW truck about $6000
    fords V10 adds to the Price of a new Ford $600

Imo if you have to have a diesel get a Used one Preferable a 12Valve cummins. or a 7.3 a non turbo " I know no turbo It doesent suck that bad beleave me if you find one that has been tooken care of its a great of truck.
    24 valve cummins wasnt too bad but I swear it seemed the 7.3 IDE with the 5speed got way better mpg but that just my experience.
    And also I do not care much for dodge auto transmission just havent had good luck with them

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

24 valve cummins were right next to the 12 valves mileage wise. just came with more power. and sounded so awesome.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. These were arguable the nicest running and most fuel efficient cummins if the lift pump and injection pump held up (big "if"). My observation between these and the 7.3idi was that the cummins did a little better on fuel (and power of course).

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is all kind of neat but won't it be at least 10 or 12 years before most of us can even think of getting into one of these? Because there's no way, for most folks to just go out and buy some 40-50 thousand dollar truck, business or not the payments and the insurance alone would be a killer and I'm not arguing a new truck would be cool but these threads would make ya believe every Lco drives one of these lol

To all those who are driving a late model truck, well I guess it must be nice. :p
    But aren't you afraid to use it, doesn't the truck actually have to work?
    How do I pamper a work truck is what I'm getting at, how does that work?
    What do we do here, not get dirty first, now don't scratch my truck!?
    How about the landfill, what about dust from working when it drifts, what do we do here, wash this thing every day?

So, shouldn't we be looking at '92- '97 models and the like?
    It's still hard and long looking to find one and still it's spending a small fortune compared to a gasser but maybe then diesel wouldn't be such an unclimbable mountain. When it takes me a good year just to find a decent 3/4 ton gasser for a good price and with all the stuff I want in it, I'd say start looking and start saving, now it won't be no 2007 but if you want a diesel maybe in 4-5 years you can actually have one.

10. Lawnshow

Lawnshow LawnSite Member

Hows my 08 2500 Dodge with the new 6.7 Bluetec diesel running. Not worth a squat! What a major disapointment. I drove mine off the lot with a sticker over 45k and had nothing but headaches with the new emissions on the motor. I now have 9k miles on it and had it in so many times for the turbo failing and not staying cool.
    Furthermore, Dodge gave me 900.00 dollars off the purchase of the truck if I mounted a plow on it. (We plow a lot of snow) so I wanted a plow on it and the darn thing overheats every time I try to drive on the highway. The dealer said that they didn't know why the truck was overheating and after four attempts with the dealer, I called Cummins tech support for help. I found out that there are three temp. sensors on the front of the trucks that operate and control the engine cooling system. These systems tell the computer to turn on the engine fan or when the truck is running warm based on the amount of air flow and the air temp. When I put a plow on the front, the airflow disrupped the sensors (No matter where I ran the plow going down the road) causing the computer to get "confused" and not turn on the engine fan. Dodge's answer to me after all of this - "Rig" up an auxilary wire to a non-monentary switch and turn the fan off an on maually. Cummins had not immediate solution but did state that they are coming out with a new computer download so this won't happen. Now, why should I have to
    "Rig" up a switch on a 45k truck to keep it cool?

For me the bottom line is this, we have around 15 dodge trucks and we are very loyal to their product line. BUT, I feel that they don't have the bugs worked out of this new emission motor yet. I am very disappointed and to conclude this wine fest, Dodge is buying the truck back under the lemon law. I am going to shop for a pre-emission motor truck or maybe look into a duramax. Has anyone else expierenced these kind of motor problems? Has anyone had the overheating issues while running a plow on the front? I am very interested in hearing.
    Jim