Dodge Cummins 12' Dumping Stake Body ?'s

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mowin4cash, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

He guys. I'm not into snow, but would like to tap your knowledge of the above truck. I am thinking of buying this truck, 2000 Dodge Cummins 24V, 2wd, auto, air, posi 4.10. It will have a hydro dumping 12' stake body on it. If I ever decided that I wanted to push snow, and our worst storms are only 6-10 inches, could I use this truck to do little driveways and small commercial lots? Or do I "have to have 4 wheel drive? Also for those of you who have 11,000 gvw dumps, can you haul a load of say, 10 yards of mulch, without going over the gvw? I know a F-450/550 would be better, but I'd really like to stay with a Dodge.

Thanks, Mike

2. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from residential with 4x2. I would target small to meduim commercial accounts thta are level, and wide open. You don't want to have to do a lot of fancy manuvering with 4x2. Also, weigh down the rear end. Plow with the storm, so that you only have to plow a few inches at a time.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I think your wheelbase is going to be too long to be able to do res. efficiently and lack of 4WD.

4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

You can plow mostly lots but good luck getting ten yards of mulch in this. I have an F350 8' 11k and piled up can haul 3 yards. Weight isn't the problem, volume is. Be careful with other materials cause it don't take long to get an 8k truck to 11k. It will handle more but the fine is really nasty.

5. capital

capital LawnSite Member

Like everyone said only do flat open commercial lots. Based on a 12 foot you need to take the width times the length. I.E. 12x7 = 84 cubic feet . 1 cubic yard of mulch is 81 cubic feet. So depending on how high you go with the box is going to determine how much you can carry. In the spring we put plywood up and can get around 5 cubic yards in our 10 foot beds.

6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

You guys are beating him up over the 15 yards thing. I know from experience that 1 "yard" at one supplier is not 1 "yard" at anther. One supplier here takes a scoupe with a 1 yard bucket fluffs it then calls a yard, another goes int the pile hard with a 1+ yard bucket, and dumps in truck, second supplier gives twice as much per "yard" always. My truck will hold aprox 5.5 yards with the extensions on, when I buy from the second supplier I sell as 6 yards per trip. Mulch fluffs as it is installed keep track, what your supplier calls a yard, may not be how much you are installing.

7. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

On a matter of math, one cubic yard is 3x3x3=27 cubic feet.

Too bad Dodge doesn't have the plant capacity to build a 15,000 lb GVWR vehicle.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Its sold under the Freightliner name.

If you want a Freightliner with gas engine you get the Dodge V10, BTW.

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

That truck would easily hold 10 yds of mulch with only 4 ft sides, it might go over the weight limit though if it's wet. depends on the mulch. I personally would hate to try and plow any kind of tight space with that truck though.......Now if you got the Izusu.......;)

10. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

John,
    Good catch on the math, I could see getting five yards of mulch on this unit though it would be full. Mike, I wouldm't beat up anybady just making a point. I'm too little to beat up anybody. If you do decide to plow the same sage advice applies to all 2wd vehicles. Plow with an 8' plow, aggressive snow tires, and 3k pounds of weight.