1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Cummins Experts - Need your HELP!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A1 Grass, Apr 5, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a 1992 Ext cab Cummins Turbo Diesel - Great shape - 150k miles. Here's the problem.

I get a rumbling sound when I go around a corner or curve (feels like grinding - kinda). Just did new rear brakes - will check the fronts tomorrow. Feels like grinding, but doesn't sound like brakes. I assume it is happening at higher speeds, but I only notice it at lower speeds. It also happens if I coast around a corner or curve in neutral. Could this kind of thing be a transmission or drive shaft problem? The auto-trans shifts smoothly through all gears.

Any ideas?????
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2000 but don't have that problem.

Could it possibly be a wheel bearing? Sounds like your putting a load on something when the wheel is turned and the weight shift or loads up on that side.

Tires not rubbing is it?
  3. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Is it 4WD or 2WD. My first guess would be wheel bearings also and With that many miles if they are the factory bearings it would be a good time to change them anyway. Now, if your truck is a 4X4 then it could be a few other possibilities such as a front differential problem but I would try the Wheel bearings first.

Don't worry though because that Cummins has at least double that mileage left in her. I hope to keep my '03 Cummins that long or at least keep for a few years after it's payed for.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

A1---that is the ultimate work truck---glad you stuck with dodge.

Check if your truck has a limited slip rear---if it does the inside tire will skip a little when making turns---especially right turns (at least thats what mine does)

So when do we see some pics?
  5. wjb

wjb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Do you have oversized tires? They could be rubbing in the wheel wells when you turn.
  6. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

A-1, since you now own the best diesel truck made, I would suggest you go to www.turbodieselregister.com, pay $30 bucks and become a member. Then ask that question on that site and I'll gurantee you you'll get the answer real quick.

But based on the limited info you gave I would say wheel bearing.
  7. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 2wd.

It does kinda feel like a wheel bearing.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The turbodieselregister has saved me alot of MONEY!!! Well worth the $30!!
  9. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I am also a TDR member and it is a invaluable source of information.
  10. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote for limited slip also. Whenever I service my (truck's) rear end, if I don't add a little friction modifier, I get that grinding/binding action you're talking about. If no limited slip, then I would guess wheel bearing.
    Good luck with the truck. Other than the rough ride, those are my favorite.