dodge cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NAT, Jun 5, 2005.

1. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

I have a dodge that wont shut off,when you turn the key it keeps on running . any thoughts on it.the truck is a 96 turbo diesel.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

boy, here come the "should have bought a ford/chevy" comments....

3. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

i belive there is a a fuel shutoff selinoid on the fuel line check the wires to it

4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Well if its a true diesel then it doesnt need the ignition on to run, there is usually a fuel cut off you have to pull to stop it.... gotta love the cummins engine :)

5. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea check the fuel shutoff sileniod. It is on the drivers side of the motor all the way towards the dash. You will see some wires coming off of it going to a relay.

6. NAT

NAT LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

Thanks going to check it out,let you know what happens

7. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

Nat,
    How many lift pumps and/or injector pumps have you put on your truck?I have a'99',they go thru lift pumps like crazzy.Mine has just 77000 miles and both have been replaced.Cost me over 1800.00 of hard earned money.Cummins wont admit they had a problem,they now redesigned the whole thing.I'm trying to cost them as much business as possible,since they wouldn't stand behind there product for 100,000 miles.Before anyone buys a dodge/cummins check out www.dieseltruckresource.com and go to 2nd generation to read about there JUNK.
    tony58

8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I can't help it! I can't help it!

You have a Dodge that WON'T stop running? You could be a Saint performing miracles like that! :p

Sorry..... :dizzy:

9. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

The lift pump and vp pump problems were only on '98.5 model year and newer trucks with the 24v engine. If your having that many problems with them there are a number of aftermarket solutions such as the FASS system.

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your truck still idling?

Should be a mechanical pull to shut it off, somewhere on the IP.

Ken