dodge cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cooksjr537, Jan 19, 2006.

1. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

I recently looked at a 97 3500 cummins the other day that has 159,000 miles on it. 5 speed trans. reg cab and has a lawn maintenance bed on it. I was wondering how good are the dodge cummins diesel engines and if 7400 is a good price.
  2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Can't go wrong with a 12 valve Cummins. As long as the rest of the truck is in good condition and the previous owner did the required maintenance I wouldn't shy away from it. Oh, and I have 2 of them.:drinkup:
  3. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

thats what i like to hear i drive a chevy now so i don't know much about dodge cummins so thanks for the reply.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Cummins are very strong engines. 4-5 hundred thou is not unusual. The problem is the trans and the rest of the truck. Like said before if taken care of no probs till around 200thou then pittaly crap untill the trans needs work. I have one and it runs very well. Good fuel economy for the power. Would not shy at all.
  6. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

the 97's and early 98's are much preferred for performance, simplicity, economy and dependability

another cummins site
    (12V forum), you will want to use 2nd gen forum too

decent price, (4x2?) do a search on autotrader - 'advanced' by fuel type to get sense of market prices

I crossed the scales at 27,800# with my '93 W350 recently (not a great idea...tho I keep it licensed to 28k)

my equip + trailer is usually 15K +, add a few attachments and some mud...
  7. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

I agree with sildoc. Good strong truck, but watch out for those trannys! We're primarily a Ford company, but we do have one 2000 Dodge Cummins, and the most positive thing I have to say about it, is interior room! Lots of nice room in it. The only bad thing that has happened to it, is we've had to replace a couple of tranny sensors, and the tranny cooler lines twice now in an effort to not replace the whole unit.
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Sounds like a great deal. You will be fine w/ the 5-speed tranny. 159,000 miles is nothing. I have 293,000 on my dodge/cummins landscape truck. Do you have any pics of it?
  9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that seems like a very fair price if the truck is in good condition.

As far as the miles, there is nothing to worry about. I have one with 293k on it and one with 217k on it and they both have been great trucks.
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Price is fine if the truck body is not rusted too much, I am a big fan of cummins engines and the 12 valves are damn near bulletproof engines. Another site: