1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Diesel, is this a good buy?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by r_d337, Sep 9, 2008.

1. r_d337

r_d337 LawnSite Member

I have an oppertunity to buy a 2004 Dodge 3500 SLT Cummins Diesel, its a 4 door short box. The truck is in great shape inside and out, the only problem is it has 350,000 km (about 217,000 miles). He wants 10 grand for it. Around here that is a pretty good deal. My only concern is in the amount of mileage the truck has on it.

Dodge owners, how many miles are you guys getting on your trucks before needing any major repairs.
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

engine wise. come on its a cummins. truck wise i would be a little leary.
  3. r_d337

r_d337 LawnSite Member

anyone else?
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Tell them to pull a service history on the truck. that will tell you more about it. My dodge started falling apart at 35k, but thats just mine. not all will do that.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 03 ram 3500 with the cummins and not so sure I would buy another. Needed new ball joints at 38,000 miles (dosnt plow). New water pump at 46,000 miles. The cummins motor has also been a night mare. The truck now has 53,000 miles and has been in for fuel system related problems 7 times in the last 2 years. Injectors have been replaced twice..... 2 new fuel pumps... a new injector pump etc. Not the reliability I was expecting in a "heavy duty" truck. Not sure If I will be able to afford to keep this truck after the 7/100,000 mile power train warranty runs out. It has already saved me thousands.
  6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Prices must've really dropped on those. I saw one recently, very clean, 4X4, diesel, 20k miles, sell at auction for about $15k. So I'd probably keep looking.
  7. cowboytim

cowboytim LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have that same truck for a daily drive and have 265,000 on it no mayor problems. Do maintain it and it will run for a long time.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Where in the h*ll was that truck driven to get 350,000kms on it and the truck is only a 2004. Something sounds fishy I would see if the truck is from Alberta it might be a ex oil fields truck.

I wouldn't touch a truck with 350,000kms especially a Dodge. The Cummins life span is usually 350,000kms if its a B.C. truck. As for paying 10 grand somebody is looking for a sucker.

If you are in B.C. there is lots of trucks on dealers lots for better deals than that. Ugly Trucks Unlimited has lots of used trucks forsale.
  9. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Gravel Rat that is a lot of miles but many people put that many miles on trucks, as a matter of fact my wife puts more miles on than that in A year. I would not buy it but it would sell for that or more around here as long as it was taken care of. I have seen older 12 valve duallys bring that much or more. I know a guy that buys these as daily drivers and he drive more than that, and hardly ever pulls a trailer, You just never now, more than likely it has been worked.
  10. r_d337

r_d337 LawnSite Member

thanx for the replies. It is a ex oil field truck, used to check well sites and such, so it is mostly highway km. My buddy who owns it is a mechanic and he says that it is in really good shape. Another perk is it has a bunch of high performance goodies on it, so it gets over 400 hp and about 25 miles to the gallon