1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge diesel mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by J-Man, Jul 19, 2011.

1. J-Man

J-Man LawnSite Member

I've talked to 4 of my buddies (not in the business) who own Dodge diesels and they all claim to get 18-25 MPG. They range from 2005 3500 to 2010 2500.
    I currently run Ford's and when they pull a 20' trailer with three Z-turns and other small equipment, I am getting an average of 7 MPG. My mechanics have looked at them and says eveyrthing is functioning and not sure why the mileage is bad. My drivers says they dont idle excessively. They got to 2-4 commecial sites a day.
    The fuel bill is killing me!!!! Please help!!!

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

They must be kicking the piss out of them at all times.
  3. J-Man

J-Man LawnSite Member

I dont think so. I drove one of the trucks a few weekends ago to help a friend move and do some other stuff. We started Friday morning and finished Sunday night. I kept track of the MPG and the I got 6.4 MPG...

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I get better then that with my big block gas engines pulling a loaded 18 foot trailer in a very hilly part of CT.
  5. gravelyman50

gravelyman50 LawnSite Member

Ok, i have a duramax diesel and pull a 18 foot enclosed with 2 z's and a walkbehind, and its nothing but stop and go in the city.. Last fillup i averaged 11.9 mpg. I can get 18 city drivin if i am dead empty and light footin it below 2000 rpm.. Im sure the dodges can get that mileage too empty, but no way pullin a trailer like mine. Remember diesels get alot better mpg, but also are alot more expensive up front and to maintain. Its kind of like a pay me now, or pay me later kind of thing. I personally love the diesels cause they will last forever if you take care of them and the resale value is awesome! Oh, not to mention they will pull anything.
  6. J-Man

J-Man LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention, they are all diesels...

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a 6.4? I used to have one and it would get 10mpg empty or pulling 10,000 lbs. If I get another diesel it'll most likely be a dodge with a 5.9 or a highly moded 6.7.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MMADDUX LawnSite Member

With a 1999 dodge 3500 5.9 cummins manual. I get around 14 to 16 towing in the city. Highway without a trailer 18 or 19. All stock but a EDGE controller that lowers the RPMS at highway speeds. Hopes this helps.
  9. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My 06 Dodge Dually will get from 12-30. It will show 16-34 on the computer but its 4 gal less than that at the pump. It depends on now I drive it. It got 15.2 pulling a 38' fifth wheel camper in the Black Mountains. But you have to run 55 at 1450 rpm. Had a guy with me who has a new Ford the other day. And I showed him what it done by rpm's he couldnt believe it. I wish it had 3.55 gears its got 3.73. My brother-n-law has 3.55 and he gets 22 pulling his race car trailer. Good fuel also make a difference. Pulling the lawn trailer I have been averaging 17 every week so far.
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Have a '99 that can squeak out 16-17 around town pulling a 20ft enclosed with two ztr's, and an '03 that is 13-14 with the same trailer. Both auto but the torque converter locks up at 28-30 mph on the '99 which makes all the difference