dodge diesel with brake problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jacob land and, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

ive got an 89 dodge 250 diesel with no brake pedal right now it goes right to the floor guy at dodge said he thought there was a pin hole leak in a rear line so there is air in the system... what is the best way to replace brake lines they are all rusted out so the will all need to be repalced?

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would go ahead and replace them all - otherwise as soon as you put it back together you'll have the same problem somewhere else. Brake fluid should be changed on a regular basis - it's hydroscopic and will build fluid over time leading to the problems you've encountered.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Get a quote from a shop to do the job. If you do want to do it yourself you need brake line, brake line bender, flaring tool, fluid, power bleeder, and of course wrenches, 12-pack and thats about it. Might be cheaper and easier to have a shop do the job though.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

first if there's a pinhole in the line you would have a leak. if you pump the pedal 20 times real hard and fast do you build up a pedal? if you can build the pedal up then push down with both feet as hard as you can to expose any leak. if you can't build a pedal then bleed the brakes. if no better then replace the master cylinder. post back you findings and i'll have another tip or two.

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i conquer!!!

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Take a shop light under truck and look along brake lines for a spot that, somehow looks "wet", but is in the middle, if you will, between any connectors. No matter how nasty or greasy your undercarriage, you should be able to see some evidence if the lines are leaking from pin holes, as I don't think brake fluid ever completely dries.
    If it comes to replacement, it might be a plan to purchase pre-bent lines from after market supplier, rather than try to bend them, as it can get frustrating trying to fit them into some very tight spots. And I agree with the post suggesting complete replacement.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you re-gain a brake pedal as khouse suggested and If these lines are as rusted as you say, It could save your's or somebody else's life by going ahead and replacing them. I would suggest pre-made lines as Jim said, But if you opt. not to and make them yourself make SURE you use a _DOUBLE_ flaring tool and not a single.

8. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

thanks guys i got my truck back today after getting the new flywheel on and was told the power steering was leaking bad (i checked it and it was pouring out) and that the brakes and power steering work together so if one looses preasure they both do, so im going to replace the power steering lines... how hard of a job is that to tackle, can you buy the lines prebent for the make and model?

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

yes the old hydraulic power brake booster. what i don't understand is you said the brake pedal went to the floor. even with the booster out you should of had a pedal?
    get lines made for your truck.