Dodge factory wiring harness

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Electra_Glide, May 13, 2005.

1. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

I bought a used 2001 Dodge 2500 with the facotry-installed trailer wiring.

I now need to add a brake controller. Does anybody know if the factory harness is already set up inside the cab for the controller, and I just have to "plug it in", or is there more to it that that.

I'm going to call the local dealership this morning, but I'm not expecting much from them...

Thanks in advance...

Joe

2. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

my 95 2500 came with a factory harness and the person that owned it before me had to install all the wires for the trailer brakes. when i got it i replaced the controller with a better one so all i had to do was plug it in. but to answer your question you could look at your plug and count how many wires there are there should be 2 trun signal wires, 1 ground, 1 running light wire. id there is more than that i would say that it has wires for brakes run to the cab then just look at the small hole in the firewall that is a little lower and left of the main hole for the main wiring harness and look for wires that arent connected to anything. hope this helps. good luck.

3. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

To install the brake controller, all you need to do is go get a brake controller and the wiring harness adapter. I bought mine at Pepboys and they had the controller with the Dodge adapter for $89.99. Then all you have to do is connect the plugs from the adapter to the factory plug which is located under the dash on the left hand side of the steering column. I am pretty sure its a large rectangular white connector. I installed it on my 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 and was easy as it could get. :D