Dodge hemi

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by wriken, Oct 22, 2006.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

How do you guys like the pulling power of a hemi, either in the 1500 or 2500 dodge? I'm thing of going with a hemi, maybe even a 1500 series, used just for my lawn trailer pulling, which will be a 20' (1900#) open trailer, probably 2 72" mowers (1300#+ each, so 2600#) pluse all related tools timmers, blowers etc. I have a couple diesel's to pull my big enclosed trailer, and 38' 5th wheel. So this is what this truck would be pulling.
    Also I like ford's, how are the 5.4 (f-150 or F-250) For pulling this trailer. possibly better yet, how about the toyota tundra? :usflag:
    Anyone know the torque figures for the hemi, 5.4, or the tundra?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont own a Hemi but here is my exp. I was traveling down the highway and someone was towing a boat down the highway. He was in the passing lane and was overtaking me slightly, I was running around 60 so I think he was in the 62-63 range. I would say the boat would weigh 2500-3000 pds. We hit a steep grade (or our area) and my truck slowed down to about 58...........that Hemi held its speed and didnt downshift........pulled on by me easy. I was very impressed.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

What was you driving???
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

plus you can say "ya, it's got a HEMI in it"
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have a HEMI in an '05 Grand Cherokee and LOVE IT....i pull a 5K lb boat and like grass cuttin fool said i can pass just about anyone. guy i'm good friends with has one in a 1500 and he loves it too. only thing is though, he doesn't tow or haul a whole lot...he's more of the "i have a truck to look cool" guys. But if you do decide on the HEMI make sure you put a flowmaster or something on there, what a beautiful sound
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I was driving my Bow-Tie, its a lead sled, GMC 1500 4x4 with a 4.3 :dizzy: , it does ok just riding but dont hook anything to it :hammerhead:

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The hemi's work quite well for towing.
  8. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have a Hemi in my 03 2500 and I love it. It can be scary towing because you almost forget you have something behind you!!!:weightlifter:
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The dodge ram 2500 diesel that I drive definately lets you know something is back there. It will pull anything dont get me wrong but to say you forget you have a 6k boat behind you is a crock of chit.
  10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

My old company truck was an 04 2500 with a hemi and 3.73 gears. I regularly towed generators in excess of 10k with it. Never a real problem with a heavy load other than it seemed the trans would shift a lil too soon and then the rpms would fall too low. A lil experience with it and I solved that by just staying into it a lil longer to hold it in the lower gear til I got going good. Don't forget to take it out of OD before any towing. Service the trans regularly(ATF 4 only!) and all should be well. Got mine new and when turned in had 66K on it in a lil over 18 months.