Dodge, lil red Express

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Ive bin thinking about buying this truck off this guy down the street from me, it's a lil red express. 1/2 ton , 318 motor in it and runs good.i think i want to pull my trailor this year with it. anybody have one or knows anything about these old trucks??? thanks!

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a collector's truck, I would not use it for work. In my opinion the 70's and earlier Dodges are the only Dodge trucks worth owning. If it's in good shape it could be worth a lot of money down the line. It was one of the first "hot rod" trucks.

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

were is all those Dodge guys tonight??? :sleeping:

4. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I can't tell you a whole lot about them, but when I was much younger my best friends dad had one and that truck was absolutely awsome! If I remember correctly, it was 1977. He bought a li'l red express for his wife, and he got the 4wd version called the Warlock. Both were red, and had black vinyl interior.
    I would agree with the other guys, it would be a shame to buy this truck and turn it into a work vehicle. I can't imagine how I would feel shoveling topsoil out of the bed of that classic beast!

5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I'm dating myself but I remember seeing them on the dealer lots. They had the exhaust go to a stacks behind the cab like 18 wheelers. I was a junior in high school when they were new. I wouldn't use it for work. Matt

6. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Jim. in addition to my pm to you last night, I also think they made a balck truck called the Midnight Express. That may not have had the stacks behind the cab. I will do some research on hemmings.com for you. Either way if you fix it up to work out of it would be a good conversation piece for you customers.

This will give you an idea of what they can be worth restored.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/dodge-l...Z6001QQsatitleZdodgeQ20lilQ27Q20redQ20express

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

1979_LittleRedExpressFlyer_Front.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If you buy it, keep it in a garage and only drive on nice days and NEVER use it for working! I would kill to have a Lil' Red Express... Yes there was a Midnight Express like it too, and the Warlock's, would love to have any of them. Right now I can only afford a '76 M880 Dodge (3/4 ton 4x4 military truck). Its cool enough for me LOL.... its my beater/plowtruck... I like it alot, but wouldn't want to work out of it everyday, and its rougher than any Lil Red Express should be.
    Please please do not work that truck. It deserves much better.

9. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I say use it, and here is why. First it will NEVER be worth any real money, maybe 7000 tops if it is in perfect condition. Second it will bring lots of attention to you and your crew with the way it looks. Third the 318 and 727 trans are good dependable parts and cheap to maintain. The cost of ownership if it is in good shape should be very little. I would have a fleet of them if i could find tham, or maybe make my own knock off if i could do it on the cheap and have it look good. It would definately help you stand out of the crowd of other LCO's.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a '78 D-100 and a '75 D-100, the '78 had the 225 Slant 6 and the '75 had the 318. They were both pretty good trucks, but simply not heavy enough for the farm. Bought the '75 2 years ago for $800 and sold it shortly later for $1100. The '78 was in great shape, all original, the interior was near perfect. Granddaddy got it from a default on a loan, and then used it for a little while and then sold it because it was in the way in the shed where he keeps the hay bales.