Dodge motor reputations

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am going to look at this really nice truck tomarrow. I know its a 1998 dodge ram 2500. I don't know if it is gas or desiel yet. Could someone give me some backround on both gas and the desiel engines from that year of dodge truck?

thanks

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's diesel, from what I've hear, buy it tomorrow! I want a Cummins so bad. The gtassers are not bad either. They are pretty reliable, even my 1987 Ram and my dad's Dakota. I don't have any complaints. Just watch the tranny and the brakes can be crap sometimes as well.

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have heard many horror stories from the transmission tech at the dealership i work at. he was a dodge tech for many years and doesn't have much confidence in their product. i have also heard of sludge problems developing in their engines. like anything mass produced, you get totally bullet-proof ones as well as complete lemons. i do sincerely wish you well if you get it, and don't forget to ask to see maintenance records.

4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

No problems here.

5. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

HUGE difference.

As stated, if it is a Cummins and the price is right (about 3-4K more than a comparable gasser, mileage matters not) Jump on it.

I have a 2001 and you would have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands (unless I were trading on a new one that is!).

The gassers are junk just like all other trucks, prepare to replace it ever 160K or so........

6. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Oh, and anyone who want's a cool place to learn about Dodge CTD can go here:
    www.cumminsforum.com

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The 5.2 and 5.9 gas engines have been around forever. I've never heard of anyone complaining about them except that some wish the 5.2 had more torque. I'm pretty sure that diesel engine in 1998 was the last of the 12V with mechanical injection pumps. It's a great engine.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sludge in the engine is almost COMPLETELY dependant on the oil you are using. I know a diesel tech and he says he will never work on a marine diesel that has been running delo for awhile because so much sludge will gather on the camshaft and crank.

The 98 model year if it is a diesel was one of the best years for the 12V mechanical injection motors. If the price is right buy on the spot. Cant really comment on the gas motors too much but as stated above they will only go 160-200 thousand before replacement is necessary.

9. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

There are 98.5's that are the 24V with the newer pump. The 12V (non VP-44) are very hard to come by. Properly tuned, a 12V Cummins can get over 23 MPG all day long.

10. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Gassers trannys are junk!!! Some have lasted a long time with lots of miles... however there are more out there that have or have had some type of problem. I personally know a guy that went through 2 in the same truck, he had a heck of a time selling the truck... but he was honest with people. Truck was sweet except for the scrap they call a trans.
    I know the neons early one had trans problems also... I had a few friends that worked in the dodge factory in Kokomo IN, so i've heard some horror stories myself.

All Clear