Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GreeneScape Inc., Dec 31, 2008.

1. GreeneScape Inc.

GreeneScape Inc. LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a new truck that will serve as a personal vehicle and if needed be able to hookup to my landscape, lawncare, or cattle trailer. My father recently purchased a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with Hemi and 5 speed automatic transmission, 2wd with 3.93 gears and could not be more pleased with it and continues to call me and give me updates on how pleased he is with the gas mileage, 17 to 19mpg.
    This started my search for a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi and 5 speed automatic, "my other half can't drive a manual." I understand how great the Cummins diesels are and would love to have one but no matter which way I do the math cannot justify the price difference for a diesel, I simply just don't drive enough miles per year to make the numbers work in the diesels favor.
    My question is for anyone out there who has or knows someone running a 2004 to 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 standard or quad cab with a Hemi and how they like it and what kind of MPG they are generally getting with a trailer and without.
    One thing to keep in mind is that I live in a relatively flat rural area so there will be very little in town driving and no large hills to climb.
    Any advice and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

All I know is they are pigs on fuel. Doesn't Dodge have any other gas engine choices or is the hemi all there is ?

If so go with a different brand like Chevy or a Ford.
  3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

we have a service and lube truck thats a 2007 3500 dually with a service body and like 3-4000 pounds including the service body and it doesnt even feel it. it averages 15 mpg which is great! the hemi has some serious power I never feel underpowered even towing the 20 foot equipment trailer with steel and mini excavators on it. great truck!
  4. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

my 07 2500 mega cab gets about 12mpg average running around town. I've seen 15.5 on the interstate before, and I usually see around 10 pulling a 18' open trailer. Never a lack of power. The newer ones with the multiple dispalacement are supposed to do better on the gas.
  5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Dodge uses a A518/618 47RH 4 speed in ALL V6 & V8 gasburners their is no Dodge 5 speed slushbox. The 47RE/48RE is used only in the V10 & Cummins trucks.

3.93 gears does not sound right check the glove box label on that?

First the Hemi in a 1500 is going to be sweet, like strapping a Hemi to a 2x4 with wheels & a seat:laugh:

I use to run the Dodge V8 magnums I sold one with 275,000 miles no oil leaks or oil consumption 8mpg towing:cry: 12mpg:cry:, while not a Hemi their close enough. The Hemi would be an improvement on the magnum block design.

The Hemi is a great engine, and for the cost you cannot go wrong. Also when there is nothing to compare it too?????
  6. qualitylawnpro

qualitylawnpro LawnSite Senior Member

Had a 04 16 hwy. 7 to 8 pulling my dump trailer plenty power just no mileage it was a 2500 4x4 4 door weight wouldnt squat the truck handled it well!
  7. GreeneScape Inc.

GreeneScape Inc. LawnSite Member

In 2004 and newer Dodge Ram 1500, 2500, and 3500 trucks with a Hemi an optional 5 speed automatic was offered. The 5 speed wasn't offered in the diesels, however may now be offered in the 09 diesels. As for the 3.93 gears in my fathers it was ordered that way from the factory by the previous owner and the sticker in the glovebox does confirm 3.93 gears with a 5 speed automatic.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been very helpful and I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers and Happy New Year
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 07 quad cab hemi. It tows great. Rides smooth. Fast as hell. Looks nice. Life time drive train warranty. Gets 13mpg in town not towing. 11 towing. 18 on the highway. My older dodge 250 gets 8mpg with the 360. No full size gasser with a V8 will do any better then the hemi mpg, there all about the same.

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

by buddy has one, only its a 3500. great power, and its been a very reliable truck. gets about 12/14 period. however he is heavy on the gas...tows anything that the truck is rated for, and has good highway speed for driving. you cant feel a trailer back there.
  10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i do think however that the best gas engine in a 3/4 ton is the 6.8 liter v10 in the fords. we have about 206k on ours w/ no problems. tows great. and the fuel economy seems to be better than the Hemi. i think they're neck in neck as far as towing goes, maybe a little better w/ the ford.