Dodge ram front end questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pclawncare, Jul 10, 2008.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys i bought a 1995 dodge ram 2500 12v cummins 2wd 215000 mi just a month back or so for a back up work truck got a pretty good deal and its super clean truck the only thing i have noticed is especialy on the highway it tends to want to drift. The tires are balanced because i just put brand new tired on it and it does not drift to one particular side over the other. Bearing were just replaced and repacked at 205000 mi. I am pretty sure it is wear in the front end joints which would probably be expected at 215000 mi. What is causing this? Worn out ball joint?

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

An alignment might be all thats necessary, you would have the "death wobble" if it was a something else. get it aligned

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Alright I was wondering if that could possibly be it the old tires had some odd wear patern on them and i couldnt decide weather it was shocks or alignment and i just put new shocks on it but with the price for them E load tires i think ill get it alligned

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

One of mine developed some play in the steering box that made it wander.

5. nosparkplugs

Word of Advice I purchase all my OEM or aftermarket E rated tires online much cheaper than the local dealers. Check online for tires, no sales tax in most cases.

6. nosparkplugs

7. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Check the track bar in the front. Have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the front end. Watch the bar that runs on an angle from the front axle up to the frame for play. I have replaced many of these over the years, most were complaining of symptoms similar to yours.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

9. nosparkplugs

Sluggish steering, road wander, or worse yet the dreaded "death wobble." These problems are more prevalent in the '94'-02 trucks, but common to some degree in almost all solid front axle trucks. It can worsen when larger tires and/or weight are added to the truck.
    While you might think the steering box was the culprit, most of the issues experienced by Dodge truck owners can be attributed to flexing or deflecting at the steering box mounting point on the frame. Put simply, if the box moves, your steering inputs won't be reflected in the way the vehicle responds.

10. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 LawnSite Member

Dont think it would be a track bar problem as im quite certain those were on 4wd models. Steering shaft is a possibility. Best thing would be to have a friend turn the wheel back and forth so you can look for where the play is.