1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge Reports

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bayfish, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Did a search, only 3 related threads all in 2000.
    Anyone using these reports to gain access to Landscape projects? If so, how has it worked for you?
  2. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

I haven't seen any data, but sure am interested in what people are gonna post.
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

4. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

constructionjournal.com is pretty good.

They don't support my neck of the woods though. They skip a great deal of he southeast. Still, they have some great info on contracts/bids... all that stuff.

$$495.00 a quarter.

1706 per year.

Dont know if thats any different prices than dodge reports...

sign up for the demo, the sales guy calls you to give a password, then he starts workin his selling skills. Still good service though.
  5. Robert T

Robert T LawnSite Member

Isqft.com is one that I am looking at right now, they have a free 2 wk trial. have you ever tried calling large General contractors in your area? Ask to be put on their invitation to bid list. If they say no call another! They normaly dont charge to invite you but plans have a deposit fee, atleast until you build a relationship with them. also might check local county and city gov. , and school district, airport, chamber of com. web sites.
    another web site would be demandstar.com
    hope this helps
  6. Robert T

Robert T LawnSite Member

I checked the demandstar web site and I don't see Maryland on the list of states but there may be some helpful info about contracting and subcontracting for you to read and its free!
  7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Been using Dodge Reports for 15 years.
  8. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

My 2 cents. Actually an advisor's 2 cents.

I gained access to and learned about these types of job locators through plan rooms. Of course I had heard about them. We were referred to commercial jobs and the contractors let us know which plan rooms to visit.

My right hand guy had to sign in at one. Then the salesman started calling. I demoed for about 6 hours ( all I was allowed).

Then I checked with a residential customer who happens to be a bid manager for a decent commercial contractor. He told me this:

1. Those services require HOURS of work... viewing, deciding, phone calls, and then bidding. I agree.

2. They're expensive. I dunno if I agree. 1 or 2 jobs pay for it.

3. It may be better to let your reputation build the relationship with local contractors. After a few yrs your phone will ring off the hook. The dichotomy is this: there are a certain number of bidders for any contract. Those bidders know if you have worked for their competitor in the past... if you have then they are higly motivated to know your numbers (bid). They will call.

My decision...after only six hours in the room and the next day calling the leads I found.... is that the work required does not pay off unless you haven't enough work in the first place. Also - the contractors will interview you over the phone ... and likely use your number as info against the landscaper they are already comfortable with.

We have been info-ed before. It sux. Spend many many hours on a large bid only to find the job goes to the guy you "knew" had the job already. This has happened when the contractor found us .... why set yourself up for it wholesale?

On the other hand .... not enough work, lots of equipment and labor available. Dodge or any of the other locators might be the ticket.