Dodge/Sterling 4500/5500 sales?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stuvecorp, Jan 7, 2009.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how they are selling in other areas but have only seen one Dodge 4500 in town and with Sterling shutting down, how are these trucks selling? I really like the specs and think the truck could be good and kinda expected to see more of them out there. What is holding them back? Is it dealers not trying, pricing, something else? What do you think?

2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

there's a lot of em around here. Mostly fitted with electical bodys with a man bucket/boom. Not too many landscapers yet. I'm sure they'll catch on, nobody wants a 50k truck at the moment. I know I don't

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

My area is all chevy/ford. There is one here but dodge dealers by me (neighbor owns a dealership ) there giving trucks away and still no one buying. There offering a mega cab 08 (many in stock yet) diesel, no leather or other whistles for $30K. He is also a ford dealership and is outselling the dodges 5 to 1.

Maybe to new yet but hard market to be in right now.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen 4 around here, 2 have been ambulances, and one was a service truck and one was a bucket truck.

My great cousin runs a Dodge dealer in WV, and he has sold quite a few, mostly dump bodies..

I would assume there not selling because of Ford holding such a big share of the market in the 4500/5500 market. After all they do sell the most diesel trucks per year. And I would assume most people dont think of Dodge when they go to buy this size of truck because you never see them all you see is Ford..

5. stuvecorp

I talked to the local Dodge dealer and they weren't really too eager and the Sterling dealer was way more than a Ford, was wondering if that attitude was common. Now I was wondering if they are more receptive to deal? What's going to happen with the Sterling Bullets? Are they going to deal on them?

6. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would take the Dodge 5500 over the Ford 550. I would take a Ford 450 with 4.88 over the Dodge 4500 in all likelihood.

I think Dodge makes the best improvement in the 45**/55** up category truck offerings.

7. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

They'll be sitting if they don't. I can truthfully say that since the Bullet intro I have not witnessed one in my travels through Tennessee, North Georgia, and Western NC for work.

Hmmm, now maybe that's why they are being 86'd

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

There are alot in my area.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ive only seen a handful of 4500/5500's around here. Seen 2 sterlings. Theres hundreds of thousands of Ford and chevy 450/4500+.

10. stuvecorp

I was all fired up but it just didn't seem to gain traction. I thought they would do good because of Ford's new motor reputation but maybe got stopped because of the economy. I would go for a Bullet 5500 if one was cheap.