dodge tranny help needed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bibbo, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 with about 99k on it.. when i shift in to reverse it makes a loud clunk. this has happened since day one but i noticed the other day it seems to go in to reverse really hard and the clunk got louder.:hammerhead: its almost like you have to force it in, kinda like when you park on a big hill. got any ideas whats up?:dizzy: i know dodge trannys are not the best, lol thanks for everything
    :waving:
    Bibbo

2. bobcat52

bobcat52 LawnSite Member

ya them dodge tranny's will get you from behind... surprised yours hasn't fallen out on the highway... lol

solution: buy a Ford

3. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

i would take it in and have someone look at it before it gets worse, tranny's are somethin you wanna fix not just throw a band aid on good luck

4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Might just be a bad u-joint.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Bad motor mount can do that its not the trans that you hear its the engine rotating until it hits metal on metal

6. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

doubt it they usually just squeeek like hell at low speeds no clunking when you put in reverse or drive

7. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a Ford?? Why would he want to buy junk???? My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has 230,000 miles. I haven't had ANY problems with it.:cool2:

8. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

My 97 Ram 1500 used to do the same thing parking on hills but then I realized if I put the E-brake on before putting it in park it stopped.

9. bibbo

bibbo LawnSite Member

it does it when your not on hills, it will feel like its parked on a hill with out the e-brake on :dizzy: