Dodge tranny question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Travis Followell, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have a 94 1500 4x4 with about 82,000 miles on it that I bought back in November of last year. It seems like that the transmission doesn't shift as smooth as it should. I have no reason to suspect that its going out ar anything but I just think it should shift smoother than it does. The trans fluid and filter has never been changed so i'm gonna have that done I get a chance. Does it sound like there's anything seriously wrong or should a fluid and filter change take care of it?

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Didn't you post this same question a couple of months ago? Anyway I wouldn't touch the fluid or the filter! If its never been changed then I would start saving for a new tranny or a rebiuld. Seriously! :waving:

3. Travis Followell

from KY

I asked if I should have it flushed some time back but now i'm asking why it doesn't shift as smooth as it should.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Because the clutches and bands are probably so worn down they will soon be junk. Look for any slipping when driving etc. you will be crusing along and it will feel like (for a second) you are in neutral, then you will soon be out of a tranny. Sorry man. :realmad:

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What type of fluid did you use?

6. Travis Followell

from KY

I've never changed the fluid. The book calls for Dexron/Mercon 2 fluid.

7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Have it flushed and the filter changed. I've flushed many from 30,000 to 130,000.. as long as it isnt slipping, have it done.

8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Oops...sorry, I misread. It cant hurt to change the fluid, filter and maybe try a trans additive. I have had good luck with Lucas trans additive in an off-road only Cherokee. Sadly though your trans might be on its way out. The best thing you can do is go to a good trans shop and see what they can do for you.