Dodge Transmission

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by procut, Jul 9, 2005.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking at buying a 2000 Ram 1500 with an automatic transmission. The truck has been used for plowing in the past, and I would continue to plow with it. I have heard that many dodge transmissions fail, for example, I know a guy with a '96 Ram thats on its third transmission. This truck I'm looking at has 97,000 miles on it now, so how much longer before I could expect having to have the trans. rebuilt?

2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me I would look at something else to buy. I have a 2001 1500 and plowed with it and will expect to have trans rebuilt for second time this fall. Dodge transmissions on the 94-02 models are not meant for the rough handling of plowing snow. If you just went with it for pulling trailer you would be fine.

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Don't get the Dodge. You'll be sorry you did.

4. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

In defense of the dodge, I had a 98 2500 with 160K that ran great. I believe it was the original tranny and motor. Granted it probably had a heavy duty transmission. It is my understanding that dodge trannys from 97 or 98 up were much better than the 94 to 97-98.

5. procut

Well, I still torn, I absolutly love this truck, its a red, reg. cab shortbox, it very awsome looking, but the mechanical side of it kinda scares me. Some more opinions/thoughts would be appreachiated.

6. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

I think they are under-rated. I really liked mine and miss quite a few features it had. One other thing to consider is the trade in value of Dodges is horrible. You should be able to work people over for a better price. Dodges are hard to sell and I think they have a bad name from years back yet make a good product.

I may be wrong, but I had a good experience. I also just had a 2000 Dakota that was a great truck. Had the 4.7L and got rid of it at 61K miles. The heater core was starting to leak though.

7. procut

I just got done looking on auto trader, and found a few other trucks very similar to the one I looked at today, and they were a year newer and had less miles and they were asking about the same price, so I think I'll look at those rater than the one I looked at today.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If the truck your looking at has been taken care of then it should be fine. The way I look at it if its got 97,000 miles on it and been plowing snow for a while then it must be a good transmission to last that long. Test drive it and see how the transmission acts and if it seems ok then buy it.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'd never use less than a 3/4 ton truck for plowing snow. A 1/2 ton simply does not have a heavy enough frame to take the abuse from plowing, no matter who makes it. The front suspension would be my bigger worry than a trans on that truck.

10. Master Po

Master Po LawnSite Member

I am not a Dodge fan, but their transmissions would be quite strong and reliable if not for an inadequate pump for the trans fluid. The stock pump is too weak and fluid does not flow very well. Just replace the pump and it will be a good truck to buy. Personally, however, I would look into a Silverado.