Dodge Transmissions ??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Phinc, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

2003-20008 Dodge 2500 4x4 automatic transmission with a deisel

any good ? junk ? thoughts ? responses ? discussions ?

I know that Dodge's auto trans program hasn't been the best, have they gotten any better ? I want a 6spd but the dealer in town has an 04 but its an automatic...........

Any info,stories or complaints or whatever would be great !

Oh i'll be pulling a 6X12 trailer loaded down with lawn equipment in the summer and driveway sealing equipment in the off season. Thanks Paul

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Dodge trucks have always had transmissions problems for as long as I can remember. I had a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 and had nothing but problems with it. They also are notorious for rear end problems. The interiors are very cheaply built. I could go on and on but you get the point. I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product again. My brother is a mechanic,ASE certified and has been in the business for 15 years. He warned me when I purchased my Dodge,but I didn't listen.

I should have listened. Every truck has its problems,but Dodge has too many. Look what happened to Mercedes when they merged with Chrysler. Quality went down hill and there sales have been in the toilet. The best thing they did was get away from Chrysler.

Run Forest,Run.

Dave...

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

the 05+ trans are good.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

'03-'08 very solid. Some 03's got the weaker 47re trans but any with the 305/555 or better had the 48re. We are approaching 100,000 miles of very hard use on an '03 and the trans has been perfect so far.

5. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

When you buy a Dodge you buy a truck for life

Cause no ones gonna pay shyt for it later :)

I have one, (not the diesel) that I use for my pull truck, and was looking at the Cummins, I have a friend that works at a diesel shop, he warned me to get a warranty on the trans if I get the auto, but said the 6 spd is VERY good. I like them, but the truck sucks, the drive train is top notch though

6. D&B Sharp Finish

D&B Sharp Finish LawnSite Member

I love my automatic tranny in my 99 cummins! BUT I also have about $7800 in it... There is nothing wrong with the newer automatics, 03 and newer as long as you dont put a chip in them. If you do get an automatic I would highly suggest a TC and VB upgrade, that alone will give you a very stout transmission at stock or 100-200 extra HP. A TC and VB upgrade should run you about $2000, unless you wanna go all out and get a full billet tranny for alot more...

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, im not sure about their newest/unproven models, but i too know a slew of friends who had major trans issues on everything from minivans, durangos, rams etc. Dodge has a nice "cummins" but thats it, if only they had something better to drive it like Ford and GM have theyd do much better. For business, id never ever consider the dodge, i do love how they look though.

8. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the tips and info. I think i'll go with my original plan and wait till i find a 6spd. i use to work on cars and trucks and I know dodges reputation for automatics, so I'll take the advice given and keep looking for a standard. Thanks again Paul

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If it's the 48RE (some '03, and newer diesels) it'll be fine as long as you don't screw around adding power with boxes and such. The NV5600 6 speed is the gold standard for manual trannies. The G56 (easy to spot due to having an aluminum case, or reverse being left and down vs. right and up on 5600) isn't bad, but it has a lower OD ratio, and winds up giving up some mileage due to higher RPMs on the highway.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

That trans will never know what's behind it. Your trailer doesn't even begin to push the limits of one of these trucks. Now is a great time to buy a used diesel---they are selling cheap.