Lawn Care Forum banner

Dodge truck question, buy it or not?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Blades Lawn Maintenance 
#1 ·
Currently have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, HEMI 5.7 V8, 2wd with around 150k KMs on it.

I want to keep the truck for some light duty work, but the truck is just not strong enough for heavier loads, especially the leafs, they just crushed down to the tire when you put to much weight on the tongue. So I'll keep it for light duty use and buy a newer one.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, 4X4, 8 Feet box, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel. It's pretty much a base truck, work truck, no chrome or special gadgets inside. 2 doors.

The guy gave me a quote of roughly 55k, around 763$ per month, so 9156$ pear year + interest.

What do you guys suggest? The F250 can only pull 14k pounds, while the cummins can tow almost 23k pounds, big difference I find.

I could also buy a used one but around here you will get one at 25k that already has 120k KMs on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
That price sounds extremely high for what you described you ought to have the top of the line model will all the options for 55k in a 2500. We have a 2012 ram 4500 4wd crew cab slt 16000 gvw with the aluminum rims and chrome running boards. 9 foot dump contractor 14 inch sides with a bulk head and a 4 way gate. Heavy duty trailer set up with plow package and ambulance package a light package and of course that size only comes with the Cummins turbo diesel. It was due this week looks like its going to be a few more but my point is, I am getting 3 times the truck you just described for about 60k.

#5 ·
Ya I know it ads up pretty quick, how much would you tell the truck I describe worth?

Ya and it's not top of the line, its pretty basic stuff, he added a few stuff for towing and mirrors and interior stuff.

#6 ·
40-45 depending on what the diesel engine costs. I can get a chevy 2500 with a vortec v8 for 33 grand here. That is no options with air reg cab 8 foot bed. SO you figure if a diesel costs 7 grand more like 40-45 depending on what the cost would be for the diesel.

#7 ·
Diesel with manual transmission is 6k extra, with auto transmission its 9-10k extra, but ya all the prices are higher in Canada.

I though the truck would be cheaper since its a 8 feet box with 2 doors, base model, ST, so it has no fancy chrome or stuff like that, but still kinda high.

#8 ·
Currently have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, HEMI 5.7 V8, 2wd with around 150k KMs on it.

I want to keep the truck for some light duty work, but the truck is just not strong enough for heavier loads, especially the leafs, they just crushed down to the tire when you put to much weight on the tongue. So I'll keep it for light duty use and buy a newer one.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, 4X4, 8 Feet box, 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel. It's pretty much a base truck, work truck, no chrome or special gadgets inside. 2 doors.

The guy gave me a quote of roughly 55k, around 763$ per month, so 9156$ pear year + interest.

What do you guys suggest? The F250 can only pull 14k pounds, while the cummins can tow almost 23k pounds, big difference I find.

I could also buy a used one but around here you will get one at 25k that already has 120k KMs on it.

Your almost 20k more then the states. This one is well equipped.....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...d=26&searchRadius=0&listingId=318643693&Log=0

#9 ·
+ it's a SLT

I don't know how much taxes I would have to pay to cross the boarder tho, also my passport is expired :(

But it's definitely something I will considered. I've heard a lot of my clients going to the states to buy cars cheaper.

#10 ·
Diesel with manual transmission is 6k extra, with auto transmission its 9-10k extra, but ya all the prices are higher in Canada.

I though the truck would be cheaper since its a 8 feet box with 2 doors, base model, ST, so it has no fancy chrome or stuff like that, but still kinda high.
They are offering no charge Diesels in Canada right now.... I think your getting hosed.... Bought a 2500 Crew, 4x4 with the cummings & automatic, bucket seats & power everything for 45k.... You can go up to the 3500 for about 1k more

#12 ·

What did you haul with the 2009 ram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.