1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We've got a newer Dodge 1500 Ram (Year 2000) - thinking about getting an older (mid 90s) Dodge too but I remember that they had real bad tranny and transfer case problems. Does anyone know what years and what exactly were those problems - I know they redesigned the tranny/transfer case for 2000 and beyond. Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. ADMServices

ADMServices LawnSite Member

I know for a fact 1994 was a bad year(75,000 miles).

We are having minor problems with a 97 model, but I am SURE it was abused during the December storm(35,000 miles).

2000 model has held up well so far(12,000 miles).

Hope this helps a little.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

First Ive heard of transfer case probs in a Dodge. Please tell us what you mean so the rumor mill may start grinding away.

I know personally of no Dodge owners with transmission problems but if you would like to take a peek around the lot of the transmission shop down the road you will see the spaces filled with mid-to late-80s Ford F250 and 350 trucks.
  4. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

I have 2 dodges 95 & 99 the 95 has had the trans rebuilt 4 times since I have own it it's been at the dealer for the last two weeks for front end problems.
  5. philt

philt LawnSite Member
    from NH

I traded my 95 2500 for a 2000 2500, and never had any problems with the transmission or drive train . I changed all the fluids every fall and oil 2500 miles. Hope this one is as good.
  6. MusGuy

MusGuy LawnSite Member

Anyone that does not think that Dodge has bad trans is a fool. The manufactor has admitted to it and it shows in their trucks. I have three guys on my crew that own dodges all 2500.... one 97, one 95, and one 2000.... The 2000 tranny overheat light comes on about once an hour... the 97 is in the shop getting a new one right now and the 95 is on its third... so do not tell me dodge has good trans... I would not buy a dodge for that reason... If you plow the tranny is probably the most important part of the truck and out of all the lines of trucks dodge is the worse.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Awww.... give us a break on the sugar coating...

Tell us how you REALLY feel.
  8. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i work at a trany shop we do see a lot that come in the main problem is dodge fluid must be changed every 15,000 miles and fords are every 30,000 miles with chevy every 50,000 we have found that most people dont change it till at least 30,000 and that is were there problem comes from. so if you change it as dodge tells you to most will be fine
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I had heard from another guy that works at a tranny shop that prior to the 2000 model year, Chrysler re-engineered the whole tranny/transfer case. I know that they had been notorious for breakdowns (previous to 2000) but I just didn't know when the problems began. It appears from the postings so far that the problems began in the mid 90s. Thanks for the help - continue to post, this type of input is always good (and cathartic for those that have had tranny problems!).
  10. Doc L.

Doc L. LawnSite Member

A great source for most anything to do with Mopar stuff is the ALLPAR site. In there you will find a long list of repairs and solutions to problems related to their infamous transmissions. One of the biggest concerns has to do with using the correct fluid. Most recently (2000) they have gone to yet another fluid type 9096. For the mid '90's they used a type 7176+. I know from past experience that it says on the dipstick and the owners manual that you can use Dexron II. All I can say is DON'T!! The fluid is not completely compatible with Chryslers fluids and if you use it you will most likely wind up like I did with major bills. Also, this fluid is almost non existent in most stores I've been in (Pep Boys, Trak Auto etc.) so I've learned to go to the dealer for the correct fluid. Also, I believe after a fluid change or any major work done there is a reprogramming that needs to be done. You can find the process for that in the ALLPAR site also. I'm wondering if any of you other guys have had any major headaches after using Dexron in your vehicles. I only topped off my Intrepid's transmission with it, (maybe 3/4 qt) and had nothing but problems with it ever since. Never will I use anything but the type 7176+ that's supposed to be used.