Dodge V-10 w/auto Pro's/Con's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by amscontr, Apr 28, 2009.

1. amscontr

amscontr LawnSite Member

We're looking at buying a 1995 Dodge 1 ton with a v-10- auto any have any comments?

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard that the auto trannies back then weren't the best (a little weak?), but I have no personal experience. The only other downside would be lack of fuel economy, but then again, you're not buying a Prius.

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

95 wasnt the year to worry about the auto tranny..

And he said the exact samething I would've..

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

One of my brothers friends has one the truck has good power but it has a severe thirst for gasoline :laugh:

5. amscontr

amscontr LawnSite Member

I hear the same about the trans., also I was wondering if there is a PTO that will match up to it to get rid of the electric hoist? Supposedly this truck in particular is on it's third trans. and the owner "says" it is finally a good one.
    As far as the gas goes we a have a 460 EFI and we almost have to carry more fuel than payload.

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

once again, I've never heard of tranny issues prior to 2001? Maybe a lemon? Or maybe TXNS can give us some real facts cause I got something wrong some where?

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton with the V-10, Automatic. Yes, these years were not the 'bad transmission years' I believe that was early '90's and just a couple years. But ever since, for 15 years almost, Dodge has a bad rap following them and the first thing everyone says about a Dodge is that the tranny is junk.

Yes, fuel economy sucks with a V-10, but it's no different than a 454 or 460 big block. Expect around 6 mpg if you tow with the truck, maybe 8 mpg highway.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

'94 and up they had more issues than the previous years. Heat was a real issue in the 47rh until the 47re came around with electronic lockup. '95 is not the best year for the auto but keeping them cool helps a lot.

9. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

The V10 is a definate pig on gas, but that truck has got plenty of power. A few weeks back I used mine to tow a friend who was broke down on the side of the road. I'd say the total load was almost 26K.

10. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I buy pinestraw from a man who used to own one to pull his pinestraw trailer(600 bales) out of south Ga. with it. He said it was a pig on power. He switched to the cummins and said there was a night and day difference on power and fuel economy.