1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodge vs. Chevy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CrewCut, Jan 25, 2001.

1. CrewCut

CrewCut LawnSite Member

I hear rumors on how much better a chevy 3/4 h-d is so much better than dodge 3/4. I have a brand new 2001 2500 ram and I beg to differ, I don't see anything the chevy can do that the dodge can't. Whats your opinion?
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I hear rumors ..."

Thats about it. Your Dodge has higer front axle rating, more ground clearance, roomier cab, proven track record, solid front axle vs. VW Jetta-style front end in the GM, you get the picture.

Anybody can read the fancy rhetoric from a glossy ad folder, but put em to the test and the real winner will stand tall.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Gm's usually offer better ride quality and overall reliabilty,up til now they have never been able to match Dodge or Ford for capabilitys(towing,hauling,plowing).The better ride thing is gone,the HD's ride as firm as Ford and Dodge now,but the on-road feel and tracking of the IFS is superior to the solid axle,but thses are trucks,and id rather have the beefy Dana 60 in mine,it handles great for me.Reliabiltiy of GM's has been slipping,especially with the 99 and newer models,and Dodge's are now a lot better than they were in 99.Either truck will do what i need,but the Dodge will do the work end better and the GM would be my choice if i wanted a compromise between work/play.Im toosing both these trucks back and forth,ill end up buying one of them,Im not sure which one yet myself.Leaning more towards the dodge i think,now,especially after seeeing a new HD excab with an 8 ft western-front end is almost dragging on the ground,about 4" of clearance between road and plow frame.This one was a 6.0 auto with plow prep,short bed.My 89 LD 2500 sags less than the new HD,and ive never touched the torsion bars or anything in the front end.
  4. PMU

PMU LawnSite Member
    from WI

All trucks are a compromise, and each has its streangths
    that make it biased toward a certain use. The Dodge has
    unsurpassed heavy towing economy with the I6 diesel and is
    available with an iron cased 6-speed which is very robust.
    Ford has a good all-around product, and their diesel will
    appeal to those desiring acceleration near equal to a gas
    engine (unloaded). Ford has a little better record with
    their auto tranny behind the diesel than Dodge. Chevy has
    a history of undersizing the cooling system, and even
    programed the 6.2-6.5 to reduce power when the cooling
    system couldnt keep up. There are a lot of problems with
    the 6.2-6.5 Chevy compaired to Dodge/Ford, but they steer
    and ride well. Chevy has done better with gas engines.
    I'm still waiting to see if Chevy has done an in-depth
    quality job on the duramax, or if they once again cut
    corners on streangth,durability, and ultimate capacity.
    Long winded, but if I could have the Allison in my Dodge
    with brakes like the F450 then I wouldnt even consider the
  5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I will qualify this post by first stating that I am a GM man. That being said I will go over the + for the GM product, you apparently know what you like about the Dodge.
    I have driven all three brands, diesel and gas, and will say that next to the GM I would get a dodge.
    The 2001 GM trucks have the best ride and interior of The big 3. Exterior looks are subjective so I wont go there.
    The GM will do at least one thing the dodge or ford cant, and that is tow a gcwr of 22000 lbs. The ford and dodge are rated at 20000 lbs for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.The limited slip differential is also better in the GM.
    With the auto you get a far better tranny, and a grade braking feature as well that will stop the truck payload and trailer on its own, with no brakes. The duramax is alot quieter than a cummins, which translates to a an overall better driving experience. So at the driveup youi can order with out yelling. With the auto you also get alot more torque and hp thana dodge, with the 6 sp, you still get more hp and torque, but the HO cummins is better, but still not up the d max power levels. The dmax also has a very flat torque curve, so engine power is steady across the plain, instead of peaking and dropping off like the cummins.
    Also you have the ability to purchase a crew cab with 6 and 8' beds, something dodge hasnt been able to offer in the 94+ models.
    And for as many issues people have with the 6.2/6.5 mine has been more than able to perform for my needs, and I personally know of several dodge owners with a mutiltude of tranny, front end, and injector pump troubles. And unlike GM,dodge wont foot the bill past 100K or 5 yrs.
    One has to drive the new d max to fully understand the level that Gm has raised the bar to, but time will tell as to whether or not it is as reliable as it needs to be.
    I am not trying to start a flame war here, I have tried to keep it middle of the road, please dont start a brand war from this.
  6. PMU

PMU LawnSite Member
    from WI

No brand war here, and I hope the d-max chevy is everything
    GM claims, as we will all benefit from the competition. I
    better not tell my Dodge that it can't tow 26000 GCVW, as
    so far it has done so 400 miles each way while returning
    11 mpg@65 mph for the last 4 years and 35000 miles. I can
    also drive 65mph with my 9' plow on front without the
    cooling system giving me any trouble, and my 88 chevy sure
    couldn't do the same! That said, my 96 3500 GM was a better
    truck than the 88 chevy, and had the best steering of any
    truck I've ever driven as well as a smooth quiet ride. No
    doubt, the Cummins is biased toward hard industrial use and
    mine is turned off at the drive thru window! If that d-max
    lives up to the hype then some day I'll buy one! Hope GM
    (& Dodge) puts out a 4x4 to compete with the F450, and that
    they ride as smoothly and quietly as my 96 chevy 3500. Now
    THAT would be quite the truck: tow the loader, plow snow,
    AND navigate that drive thru window!

7. plowking35

from S.E. CT

I have no doubt that the truck can tow it, its just exceeds the limits that Dodge has put on the truck. I dont think its the engine that isnt up to the challenge, its the rest of the drivetrain that may be suspect.
    I see many hotshots towing goosnecks with 3-4 cars on them, how they can be legal, I dont know. But they do it all the time, and 75% of them drive dodges.
    I see now that both ford and gm are designing class 5 trucks to be used just for that segment of the market.
    Chevy is releasing a new line of medium duty trucks this year, and 4 wd will be an option late in the year.
  8. PMU

PMU LawnSite Member
    from WI

Dino, do you know if the GM class 4 or 5 4x4 trucks will
    have independant front suspension? If so, this sounds like
    a very nice developement in the marketplace. I have owned
    all the brands, and buy whichever comes closest to providing
    a solution to my needs. I had been looking at another truck
    and wanted to test the chevy 3500 chassis-cab, but none were
    to be found near me. I looked at the F450, but it rode very
    harshly and I didnt care for the interior. I am interested
    to learn more about the class 4 Chevy 4x4. FWIW I'm not
    brand loyal to Dodge, just satisfied that the truck does a
    wide range of jobs without complaint.
  9. plowking35

from S.E. CT

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dino,the 6 speed dodges have a 21,500GCWR,the auto s have a max of 19K with a 4.1o axle.The GM's are sweet trucks,but the Dodge's just handle the blade so much better I my opinion.As far as GCWR,it is for warranty only,i have a friend with a 1999 Dodge 3500 and its an auto,he is tagged for 38K lbs,legally,truck has 278K on it,still original tranny,engine's just broken in.LOL.