1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dodging dog poop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duramax8832, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Im just curious, does anyone charge more for those lawns that are just covered in doggy mines. I have a few no matter how careful i am i end up in some, not to mention the mower tires flipping it up in the air. Then I have to listen to the little lady bee itching, that the truck stinks.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dealt with this my first two years and after I ate enough dog poop, I felt I did my part in doing the dirty and thanks but no thanks.

Most dogs that are kept outside have a smallish area in which they go, and do not go all over the entire back yard but it depends where the dog is kept. If the dog is kept inside, then the entire yard is more likely to be littered. If the area is smallish, I just avoid it, I MIGHT take a chance skimming the weedeater over it IF there are only a few piles, but likely not even that - dog poop is off limits to me.

Charge for this? Some do that but as for me, either they clean up after their pet(s) or I refuse to deal with it. I don't mind it so much when they cleaned up Wednesday and I come out Saturday and there's 3-4 and maybe a half dozen or so piles, my problem begins (and ends) with the backyard world-war II minefields and I will not do it.

They can either pay me to cut all except the minefield, but usually the rest of the yard is in like shape, I just can't deal with it no more.
    Between yards like that and yards consisting mostly of dirt, I just dropped / refused to accept work on about 3 or 4 of these. I figure let them call someone else, I done did my part a long time ago.

There are some exceptions, it depends on the customer, but it is rare and it is my choice.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a customer who does the grayhound rescue...at any time she may have up to 6 or 7 dogs in a small city yard.
    There is so much crap its pathetic.
    I just hose the shi* off my shoes and equipment right onto to her patio....funny thing is she doesnt seem to mind!
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: What we do if we get dog poooo on our tires is go out onto the driveway and spin circles and smear it every where.
  5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

As part of our service agreement, all animal waste must be removed prior to service (along with hoses, toys, etc.). I've never had a customer need more than one warning.

All of your requirements should be spelled out on the written proposal.

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I tell all my customers with dogs and give them two warnings after that its a $10-$25 fee if my mowers, me or my workers step/ hit it.
  7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I thought about charging a fee. The jury is still out on the final decision but one of my thoughts is that if you are charging a fee to get them to clean it up, they might actually care even less and feel since they can pay someone else to clean it up, they just might leave it all!:hammerhead:
  8. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

TRy mowing around ponds that have those "D*M" geese !!!!! talk about poo poo flying off the tires !!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I just started doing something about it, when I was much smaller biz it didnt seem to be much of a problem so I usta let it slide. This year im sick of stepping in it, having my employees step in it, and get it on the mower, it stinks and is a pain to clean off, so i told my customers with pets cleanup up before I come, this is the day I come, if its not cleanup up 1. We will cut around it and you will be charged extra if is hit or stepped in.

10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Sorry, I don't need the money that bad! If it happens once, that might be different. If it looks like it is the normal way of things, I will just pass up the job.