DOE rulemaking about lamps.

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Jan 26, 2009.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

This just in from the IESNA Legislative & Regulatory Committee:

Proposed DOE Efficiency Rulemaking about Linear Fluorescent and Halogen PAR Lamps
    from IES’s Legislative and Regulatory Committee requesting members’ feedback to DOE
    The federal Department of Energy (DOE) is proposing more stringent, efficiency regulations on the 4’ and 8’ linear fluorescent lamps and Halogen PAR lamps. While the regulations are not final, the proposed fluorescent regulations are anticipated to eliminate most 4’ and 8’ T-12 lamps. The proposed Halogen PAR regulations are high and are anticipated to eliminate most current Halogen PAR lamps leaving only some shapes of high-efficiency Halogen-IR lamps.
    DOE will accept comments, data, and information regarding the proposed regulations (NOPR) up until 60 days after official publication in the Federal Register, which is expected any day. Any member with an interest or concern should consider commenting. DOE is obliged to respond to comments. Further, a public meeting will be held on February 3rd, 2009, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in Washington, DC at the Forrestal Building, Room 1E-245, 1000 Independence Avenue. A copy of the proposed regulation can be downloaded at: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/residential/incandescent_lamps_nopr.html

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

This is important stuff guys... I encourage you all to contact the appropriate government officials and ensure that they do not mess around with LOW VOLTAGE PAR LAMPS! Remind them that 12V lighting is inherently more efficient then 120V lighting as it delivers 33% more light per watt consumed.

I would hate to see them over look this and end up eliminating Halogen MR16 lamps! It could happen... you know how dumb bureaucracies can be!

Regards.

3. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

whats wrong with highly efficient halogen IR lamps?

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Nothing is 'wrong' with halogen IR lamps... except for their limited availability in all wattages and beam spreads. I often use Hi IR MR16s in my interior projects.

There is also nothing 'wrong' with all the standard halogen MR16 lamps (well except those darned Ushio Ultralines... there is a lot wrong with those! :) ) and it would be a shame to see them rendered unavailable.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Something tells me this act is looking to eliminate 120v Pars? But we will dive rigth into this........Thanks for posting

6. JoeyD

GE is going to reconfirm but this came up some time ago and LV Landscape Lighting Halogen Par lamps will not be affected by this.........Landscape Lighting is not regulated. GE will be trying to get me some sound info to show why LV Par lamps are not included in this but like I previously stated this DOE / EERE study does not include our LV lamps but rather focus's on 120v applications.

7. NiteTymeIlluminations

maybe they should start regulating it and maybe people wouldn't be able to use a 50 watt mr16 60 degree to light a skinney tree. How many guys out there use the incorrect lamp because its available.

8. JoeyD

True that!! LOL I think they have that regulation in some places and its called Dark Sky?

9. NiteTymeIlluminations

dark sky sorta scares me...lol...seesm sorta..."dark"

there are lamps out there that are just so unecessary to have around though.

I use so many 45 watt 10 degree lamps and rarely use floods unless its a wall anymore...

10. JoeyD

It should scare everyone in ligthing to a degree but after diving into it head first these last few months you come to find that it really only forces you to be more creative in your designs. The LITE program we are heading up is going to strongly address Dark Sky and offer up some strong alternatives to our every day techniques to help us be more compliant yet still produce lovely lit portraits.......