Does 29hp Kawasaki DFI Watercooled have problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeSp, Jul 6, 2008.

1. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

As in an earlier posting, this engine has a serious problem in that after using the Toro ZMaster which it powers is used for mowing for about 45 minutes, the fuel filter empties of fuel and the engine dies. Let it sit for 5-15 minutes (depending upon its mood) and it starts back up as good as new and then that repeats all day long. The fuel tank selector valve and fuel pump have been replaced. I have tried leaving the fuel tank caps loose as well as extra tight and the dying issue also happens with both tanks. This problem started at 52 hours on the hour meter, the dealer needs 2-3 weeks of wait time until they can get to it and another possible week to get parts if they can figure out what parts.

I contacted Kawasaki customer service for that line of engines and was told, apologetically, that they could not help me due to contractual obligations with Toro.

I am wondering if the 29hp Kaw water-cooled DFI engine is generally a trouble-prone engine or has a history of having a particular issue and is otherwise dependable -- the downtime is a killer :cry: and dependability is needed and I need to decide if I need to trade it for a different brand.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences with this engine since it is used on several brands of ZTR's besides Toros?

Thanks,

MikeSp

2. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

Although my local Toro dealer was unwilling with his method of doing business (all items taken in for service are put in a queue instead of taking the warranty and commercial items first and placing priority on them), I tried emailing Toro customer service and got nowhere, so out of pure desperation, went to a Toro "Master Service" center about 30 miles away and the owner took an immediate, personal interest in solving the problem. Obviously it was vaporlock and he made calls that day to Toro and Kawasaki and found that the alcohol-blended gasolines caused vaporlock with the OEM Toro fuel pump and that Kawasaki was shipping out a replacement that should not vaporlock. He even picked up my Z589 for no charge and replaced the fuel pump under warranty--using the Kawasaki pump and NOT the Toro pump. Problem was solved thanks to a dealer that went out of his way to solve my problem -- he deservedly gets my business from now on.

Problem SOLVED!!!:clapping:

Mike

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal. I know they have sold hundreds of 29 dfi Scags that were basically as trouble free as you can get in central Kentucky. It is the best seller at the larger dealers here while the 27 hp is a better seller at smaller dealerships.

4. ironmantk

ironmantk LawnSite Member
    from FL

Posted via Mobile Device

5. ironmantk

ironmantk LawnSite Member
    from FL

I have re-powered my grasshopper 321d after the diesel melted a piston, with this 29 kawi dfi; and love the motor was surprised to find I'm only getting 1.2 and 1.3 gph! My dads new gravely w/ 31 kawi (1000cc vs 750) and his is getting 1 gph!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. Old post!

Fuel consumption/mileage depends on a lot of things:

Weight of mower

Width of cut

Hydro pump/wheel motor combo

Type of blade

Thickness of blade

f/min of blades

Deck drive type