Does a 3 point hitch have down pressure?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by ztec, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ztec

ztec LawnSite Member

Just wondering when using a 3 point hitch auger setup is there hydraulic down pressure or do you have to push down on it? THanks
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

A 3 point hitch usually does not have down pressure. The reason being down pressure would unload the rear wheels, which would have you going nowhere fast. The weight of the PHD should be enough to start the auger into the dirt. Be extremely careful around the operating PHD. The rotating auger or PTO shaft will tear an arm off in the blink of an eye.
  3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

ZTEC if you dont have a tractor already then I would look into renting a Mini skid like a Dingo or Bobcat with the auger head and bit. From what I have heard the tractors take a while with the augers but I can vouch for the Dingo doing great with any auger in our area from 9" wide all the way up to a 30" bit.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

no down presser on most unless they have a hyd top link which can be made cheeply if u have enough remotes on your hyd system
    a skid steer is way better in most cases to do holes unless u already have the tractor
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

There are some tractors that have down pressure at the 3pt. I think DeutzFarh does on some of their tractors. DeutzFarh makes the Agco tractors so they might have downpressure available to.
  6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

My Deere doesn't have down pressure, but when using attatchments such as a rear blade or box blade the weight in the box or against the blade helps it dig further in. As stated above, be VERY careful with PTOs, mostly on order tractors. The newer ones have covers and so on, but they are nothing to mess around with.
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Correction, Agco owns Deutz-fahr. I don't know that agco tractors have this feature, but I do know some of the P.O.S. belarus tractors did have this dubious feature. The best way to get a pto style digger to go into the ground is to be sure you have a sharp point and wear hardware on the auger. I f you want to Know about Phd accidents, ask Charlie Daniels to show his scars! I switched to skid mounted auger to lessen the chances of taking THAT ride, but you still need to keep your tools sharp and in good repair. Another pearl of wisdom-if you get the auger stuck in the ground, unscrew it with a pipe wrench.:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Kubota 4310 with all the attachments in the world - one of which is an auger. I use the tractor around the ranchette here. Out of everything I have got, the auger is the most dangerous and by its very nature wants to jump out and bite, especially if you start digging on grass and hit something hard. If I was to choose something to use day in and day out in the field to make a living, it would be anything but a tractor with an auger! Mini skid, skid, a couple guys with a hand auger.....
  9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I seen a JD with an auger attached to the FEL in place of the bucket. Didn't get a real good look but think the bucket hydraulic tilt operated it.

10. try a post driver sometime if you think the auger is bad, it will keep you on your toes.