Does a bigger mower mean lower quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dannyc33, Sep 5, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

I currenlty have an 60 super z and will very soon be getting either a 60 or 72 Lazer Z to replace it. I was wondering if the 72" would be able to cut a well as a 60" since it will have to cut more grass at the same 18,500 fpm as the 60. I would think that more grass, bigger blades, and the same dept of the deck would a least theoretically cause the quality to be less than the 60. This is a concern for me becuse the quality of the super z cut is why I'm swithing over.
    :confused:

2. gusndemboyz

gusndemboyz LawnSite Member

The cut should be as good but you will have to be more careful
    with the wider deck. It will be more likely to scalp

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You can slow down just a bit, and the cut will be as good, just be sure and get a bigger moter!!

JIM

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If the super z is not producing a quality cut because of the 60 inch deck why are you replacing it with a 72? I have a Hustler Z 52 that cuts beautifully. I demoed both the 60 Super Z and the Hustler Z 52 and both produced great results. I went with the smaller mower for manuverability. I agree with the above reply. Slow down a little and the Super Z will give great results.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a 32" that cuts crapy compared to one of our 52". So no, I don't think that the size matters.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Unless you are cutting really flat and wide open spaces I'd go with the 60".

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Danny,

From what I'm hearing, the Hustler's cut is on par with Exmarks. So if your just switching to get a way better cut, maybe you shouldn't.

A 72" mower is 15% more productive than a 60" deck in sheer acres/hr.

Most 72"ers with a properly mated high power engine will cut BETTER and faster than a 60" deck. There is simply MORE deck and the blades are LONGER.

However side scalping is greatly enhanced with a 72" deck. You'll want at least a 28hp engine for high productivity in a 72" cut.

Good Luck

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My Super Z 60" cuts St. Augustine every bit as well as my EPS Lazer 60". Bahia cuts a little faster with the Lazer. I have never used a 72" mower myself, but I find I can cut just about anything with the 60"s . All three of our 60" mowers cut better than anything we had before, including walkbehinds and smaller riders. I guess I'm just weird :) I'll put a 60" on anything, 5k-50K feet :cool:

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with ya on that Keith.

I'm putting my 60" on 7K - 310K

I may be loosing that big one next year, and the next biggest is only about 3.5 acres. If that big lawn wasn't being sold and subdivided :mad: into 7 lots, I'd seriously think of opting for a 72"er and persue the much bigger lots.

10. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member