Does a Class A CDL automatically include Air Brakes?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jul 4, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I passed my Class A CDL test yesterday. I just noticed on the temporary license paper that it says endorsments-none. But I took it on an air brake truck and trailer and did all the air brake tests! Did I get screwed?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You will need to take a written airbrakes test and then a road test in a airbrake truck and trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

did you just read the title or did you read the whole post?

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

think I figured it out on DMV site. It appears that air brake air brake is a restriction that you will have if you dont take or pass the air brake portions

5. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Airbrakes is not an endorsement, it's a restriction.

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Airbrakes, tanker and hazmat are endorcements
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ny is different. air brake is a restriction. dmv site says that ny has 5 endorsments tank, hazmat, doubles, passengers, and school. There is a seperate test for tow truck also. So if I have a class A with only restriction being a truck trailer combination. Then I cant drive tractor/trailer but I should be good for air brake

8. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Correct. Nothing will show up under endorsements for air brakes. But you will only have the no tractor trailer or something along that lines under restrictions. Provided you pass both written and verbal tests.

That's how Mass. is at least. I have no restrictions and a tanker endorsement.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I read it. My answer should've been more complete but was typing on my phone. If your test included the written airbrake portion and you tested on the truck and trailer that you have talked about recently then you should be good to go. I would confirm this answer with you local DMV. When I took mine years ago the test was broken down into 7 parts and you just tested on what you needed, in your case that would be General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Combination Vehical. Its been almost 10 years that I've been through it so things most likely have changed.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

great! I saw the temporary license ticket that the instructor printed out and got a little nervous when I saw no endorsements. But Im good to go, just got to wait 6 more days to go to dmv and get my license ammended.