Does a sulky or velke really increase productivity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwanderson79, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

It depends.

I use a Velky on my larger properties but walk the smaller properties.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes a velke/sulky will increase your productivity, especially on larger properties. A two wheel velke is the best choice IMO because you wont get that ugly one wheel mark in the middle of your stripe. With proper use and care you will not damage turf. Now training employees to do the same is another story.

3. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a standon on the back of my exmark WB since day 1. Can't imagine doing the lawns I do without it as I am not going to be running up and down an acre of hill side. With the stand on, I can full speed on a lot of my properties, easily doubling the productivity of the mower.

I am either bagging or discharging at all times. When discharging, I remove the bag mount and run without the deflector or chute. Not sure about other machines, but on my exmark the bag mount comes off in 10 sec.

4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Out of curiosity....is the OP or any of you running the velke on a belt drive or strictly hydro?

5. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 LawnSite Member

Belt drive for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I run mine on a hydro. With full reverse on a hydro, I couldn't imagine using it on a belt drive. Although I am.basing this on what I have heard, as I no experience with a belt drive.

7. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience; sulky's are a lot better with hydro mowers. Never really cared for sulky/ belt drive.

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Sulky belt driven mowers are pretty cool my man, go straight an far!

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about productivity.....but when it is 90 and humid outside, riding a 10k sq ft lawn is much better than walking the whole thing. Take this from a guy who used to walk EVERYTHING with a Quick 36. My hips were sore from all the walking. But man was I in shape:)