Does a sulky or velke really increase productivity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwanderson79, Sep 18, 2013.

1. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

When you're doing big stuff, the difference is huge. Throw it in 5th and fly. Small stuff, makes very little difference. You use way less energy during the day though. Just don't be surprised when you put on a few lbs from not walking ten miles a day anymore.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. PenningsLandscaping

I switched to single after having the dual for a year. On my smaller lots manuverability with the dual was becoming a problem. Single made it better, I hate the center stripe but I put some bailer belt as a makeshift stripe kit on my bobcat 48. Stripes are brighter now and the wheel mark is less noticeable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 LawnSite Member

The responses have got me thinking about a single wheel. I have enough small yards that maneuverability is an issue. I'm curious about storing the velke when I need to walk a small yard. Im not concerned about a center stripe since I mow St. Augustine and what little stripe are visible disappear shortly. I just assumed a 2 wheel would be more comfortable.

What do you guys think?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

I chain mine up when walking small yards but take it off when doing very steep hills.

5. PenningsLandscaping

I don't find the two wheel to be any different in comfort. I'd get the single wheel from trailerracks.com. 125 with shipping, works great. I have a chain for mine that I hang the sulky up on, but if your gear shift is there, it's a problem. I take mine off for small yards.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not really. I've had a Velke behind 36" gear drive mowers for 13 years without a problem. Hang it by the chain and I can no longer change gears with my knee, I have to do it by hand. It's not really a problem.

My discharge chute is long gone.

7. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i find that its easier to just step off and walk behind or along side my single wheel velke when i need to, not as easy with my dual wheel velke. the stripe down the middle isn't so great.. but i do mostly bermuda so its not as noticeable usually. much less tired at the end of the day, i can cut more yards in a day with a velke, i ride whenever i can, and i push mow the small yards with 21" because it looks better.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Belt drive- who needs reverse anyway....

9. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

I love using my tru trak on my toro walk behind, such a comfortable sulky, but priced high at $500+. I was thinking about getting a proslide anyone like those?

10. PenningsLandscaping

If I had a hydro walk behind I'd be running a proslide. They're awesome.
    Posted via Mobile Device