1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does a sulky or velke really increase productivity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwanderson79, Sep 18, 2013.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they only designed for Hydro's? I heard something about this in the past not be compatable with some belt drives but haven't looked into it yet.
  2. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Im not sure why you could run one on a 48 Viking but it is not advised on a 48 Metro. I have seen several of them on Metro's and the Goslide says it is usable with any WB. I posted a thread about putting one on my 36 Metro earlier and everyone suggested I not do it. I just continue to walk as I have 1 month at the most of mowing left. I want to add a 48 Metro next year and put a Proslide on it but don't want to make a $500 mistake. I don't want any type of wheeled unit.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48inch Metro and wanted to also put the proslide on it , I'm going to look into it soon and let you know.
  4. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" Viking and use the Exmark Standon with it. But my Viking is hydro, not belt...
  5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a Velke single for years behind a Toro t-bar belt drive. It handles much better than my two wheel Jungle Jim. The two wheels are a little easier on bumpy ground due to lower tire pressure with two tires. The single tracks straighter with less "fish tailing". I use a two wheel behind a hydro, and single behind a belt drive.

When the ground gets soft, a 200lb man on a single becomes a plow. Pros and cons to both.

Open discharge, gators everywhere. And I think the Velke x2 is a great place to start.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Not enough power and too much friction for a Proslide to work on a 36.

Can't see the benefit of a Proslide over a wheeled velke/sulky, especially with crossing a driveway, riding a sidewalk, not being able to back up, riding it up a trailer gate, etc... Gotta wear out pretty fast and gotta slow down even the most powerful walk behind compared to wheel/s.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Does anyone use a sulky on a single hydro?
  8. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a few lawns where we could either use a 36" walk behind (belt drive) or a 21". We opt for the 36" due to the large back yards. Anyways, we run the 36" belt drive with a two wheel sulky. Pulls around my guy with ease. He's 6'2" about 190; no problems.

Granted we only use it on a few properties a week; but at that it works just fine.
  9. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on how fuel consumption in your walk-behind with sulky/velke compares to Stand on mowers? Obviously it consumes more fuel than if you were just walking behind it, but is it as much as a larger stand on or Rider unit?
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed no difference. It takes very, very little power to keep a person's weight moving at 2 or 3, even 6 mph.