does a TTHP stripe better w/ or w/o the mulching kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dura to the max, Jun 3, 2008.

1. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

just wondering whether my tthp would stripe as good or better w/o the mulch kit. i have a proslide on it and it stripes fine now, but will removing the mulch kit hurt the striping capabilities? i know southern grass doesnt stripe as well as northern grass and i just wanted some feedback on this. i dont necisarily need a better stripe, i just dont want to hurt what i have now. also, would the striper kit help it stripe any better on centipede/st. augustine/bermuda?

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll get a better stripe WITH the mulch kit, if it is possible to keep running it. If you can't, try the Gator Hi-lift blades. They will mulch the clippings into fine-enough pieces that it will still help the stripe stand out. If you're cutting too much w/o mulching, the clippings hide the stripe up to a point.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I think deck pitch has more to do with the stripe than the kit being in or out. Also blade type.

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are important too, but I have went back and forth w/ the mulch kit, so I'm speaking from experience. It makes a HUGE difference, IF you can get away with running the full mulch kit.