Does Anbody NOT Have Employee Issues?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by TYTILIDIE, Jul 24, 2012.

1. TYTILIDIE

TYTILIDIE LawnSite Member

Im still a small company but this have been working extremely hard on presenting ourselves as a large company in hopes to grow. So far it has been working. I have $50k in landscaping that needs to be done by the end of August and one of those 3 jobs may result in another commercial complex for us to maintain on a 12 month basis.

The problem is this, I sign a 25k contract yesterday that we are supposed to start tomorrow and what do I get? my main guy goes home sick today. I only have two guys and the other guy has no license. Even if he did, he doesn't know enough to run a crew. So now they have to spend half a day finishing up mowing and the job gets started late. What makes this irritating, is that I just gave him a raise yesterday because I thought he was doing a good job. Now I really don't want to give it to him.

I know people cant control when they get sick but holy ****, what do I have to do to find a decent guy that can make it to work every day? not argue with me about his job? things like that. Just gets old.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We had a kid quit Saturday because he thought he was running the show. Hard worker but very little respect. We paid him decent money for his ability, let him use the company truck if he needed it, our shop/tools. We had one great employee but he was forced to quit because of a medical condition. We interviewed someone today and we will try him for the rest of the week. I understand an employee doesn't care about the business as much as the owner but I'd like to find one with just a little common sense and understanding of what it takes to run a business :hammerhead:

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

The only companies without employee issues are those without employees.

4. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

It cant be said any better than that

5. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

All I have to say is good luck. I have 30 employee's one big babysitting job. Always employees having some sort of issue and drama.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im solo thanks...

7. amicold

amicold LawnSite Member

Being a little unrealistic, you can't expect any employee to show up every single day if they've been with you for any decent amount of time. It just doesn't happen, life gets in the way.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

When I worked for other people I missed five days in 6 years. 4 of those was because it was "use it or lose it." Since starting where I am I have missed 1 day in seven years. We hired an kid 2 weeks ago, in ten days he missed 3. Most people should miss no more that 3 days a year (unless of an emergency) I think the mentality has changed about employees where they no longer want to help the company succeed, they just want to roll up 10 min. late, work until 3, collect their check and go home..... Very different from how I was raised to view working.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am glad you are landing these jobs but I would rather the guy go home get well and come back fresh. You do not need him getting others sick.

I do not know why you would not give him a raise he earned?

Is this the same guy that argues with you ?

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Geeze man, people get sick. I'm sure one day won't kill ya.
    Posted via Mobile Device